I'm looking to get a new (used) flatbed truck for delivering grass sod. I have a 2000 Int'l 4700, 25,500 gvw and have been satisfied with it, just want/need another truck, so going to get something a little bigger. My mechanic suggests a 2002-2004 International 33000-34000 gvw, saying that in 2005 their is some component causing repeated issues. Maybe he said the electronic module? :beatsme Any thoughts on this? Should I be considering something else? Freightliner maybe? Other? Having a difficult time trying to find the exact truck that I have in my mind (truckpaper main resource). Any ideas on places to locate used flatbeds?
I bought a 2003 4300 25.5K GVW new and had electrical problems with it. Mainly idiot lights and A/C issues. Also had A/C issues on a 2005 7600 tandem dump. Sold both of them and never looked back. As far as International goes, the 1999-2001 4700 and 4900 trucks are pretty darn good IMO. I currently have a 1999 Dt466 service truck that has served it's purpose well although there is a leak in the A/C system and it doesn't keep it's charge. This A/C problem is different than the newer Internationals I have owned since this is mechanical and not electrical. I would like to have a 1999-2001 4700/4900, DT466, 6+1 trans, 33K 16' flatbed dump to serve as a utility truck and small equipment mover, however I can't justify the added cost at this time.
Interesting comments, CM. I have a friend with a 2003 4300, and he's had light (not major) issues with warning lights and also two a/c $1200 issues in a year. My 2000 a/c leaks too, but held for 18 months on the last charge. I really wanted a newer style (2002+) as they look more comfortable (and stylish)... and I'm my favorite delivery driver. Not sure I want to upgrade if its just to increase the load... What the consensus on the Freightliners?
Not much help there, never owned one. The 4300 series is a more comfortable truck to drive. Many more creature comforts than the rather spartan 4700/4900 series but as I gain age and experience, I tend to prefer the reliability. Reliability will make you money.
True... I like to be comfortable, but worrying about your equipment isn't exactly comfortable either. I've also been contemplating trying to mount a set of seats from a 4300 into my 4700. I need to get some measurements from my buddy's truck to see if that's do-able. And yea, my little 4700 is a money-maker.