Hi, I have a 941 track loader with a 3304PC Motor laid down on me.....I can get a 3304PC that is running a 6" irrigation pump reasonable $$$$ Is there a difference in the mounts or flywheel or anything else that would not allow the interchange??? I'm fairly adept at twisting wrenches so swapping manifolds etc is no problem. I just need to know of any MAJOR differences in the application of these two engines..... thanks Paul
Stationary engine will be different fuel values, different a lot of stuff. Need to do a comparison shop on engine arrangement numbers, just being a 3304PC does not guarantee a direct cross or adjustable mix.
OK, original engine in the 941 says "arrangement 4N3801" stationary engine is "4N4201"........ Also I can tell I'll need to change the bell housing to use the mounts for my frame....exhaust because mine is center outlet and vertical.... intake because mine turns back towards the front....etc. But if I use the injection pump that is currently on the engine the fuel demands/use should be ok....correct?
I need to get into the system, which will be tomorrow now, to see what differences there are between 4N4201 & 4N3801 over & above what you can already see. I would say that provided the long block is the same between the two arrangements then you are on to a winner.
thank you Nige.......any help is appreciated
You have a bad Arrangement Number. 4N-4201 that you indicated was the arrangement of the irrigation pump engine is actually the Part Number for a fuel injection pump & governor. According to the system 4N-4201 is part of a 4N-3803 Engine Arrangement. Maybe you can ask the seller to have another look at the engine for the Arrangement Number. Even if you can get an engine Serial Number it would work - it should be 78P-prefix. 4N-3801 is a good Arrangement Number for your engine
That's looking like serial number 2B6436 (02B06436) and the arrangement number which looks closest is 4N4205. I won't go any further right now as Nige is on top of this.
the suspense is killing me......................
I can't decide from the photo if the S/N is 2B06456 or 2B06436. Either way it makes no difference as they both indicate the same engine Arrangement 4N-4205. The big issue as I see it, and it's something we came across here only a couple of weeks ago, is that Caterpillar played things fast & loose back in the day with engine model descriptions. I can put the S/N-prefix of 02B into the system and it comes up as two options. One is a D330C Industrial Engine for lower Serial Numbers (02B01500-Up) and the other is a 3304 Industrial Engine (02B05272-09536). IMHO the engine is one or the other model-wise, it can't be both. Having said that IIRC the C Series variant of the D330 and the first models of 3304PC engines shared the same bore/stroke dimensions whereas B Series D330 variants were slightly smaller in bore. I thought someone mentioned that during the discussion but can't find any reference to it on a quick trawl. Either way the critical item to convert 2N-4205 to 4N-3801 is that according to the data the cylinder head will require changing from a 3N-4044 to a 2P-6274. Those two numbers break down to completely different cylinder head part numbers. I have no idea if the complete head assembly from the D330C has the same inlet/exhaust manifold setup as the 3304PC or if there are any other differences. That is what could be the deal breaker, everything else is simply peripherals such as manifolds, flywheel housing, fan drive, fuel pump & governor, etc. All of which the OP had indicated he was going to change anyway. You need one of our Old Iron experts .........
What is the s/n of the 941?