Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306 973 engine options

Junk runner · 2019-11-02 11:39

im looking for a 3306 engine for my 95 973 and was wondering if a truck 3306 would work and what I would have to switch over on it or what options I might have besides a direct replacement from a 973. Thanks

Replies30
  1. #1Nige2019-11-02 12:09

    There is no "stock" answer to that question. First it needs the S/No or Arrangement Number of the original engine to establish what spec it is. (It might well be worth starting with this info to establish things like compression ratios, etc.) Then it needs the same info for any potential donor engine. With the above the two engines can be compared and a list can be produced of what needs to be done to convert the donor to the original spec. I would've thought that things like oil pans, front/rear gear trains, flywheel housing, etc, etc might well be different between the loader and a truck application. However they are all "bolt ons" though, and can be swapped without too much difficulty. If you are thinking that an engine from another totally different application will be a simple drop-in then I'm afraid you're mistaken.

  2. #2Junk runner2019-11-02 13:08

    Thanks for the information I didn’t think it would be easy but also hadn’t thought about a couple things you mentioned so I believe my best bet is to keep looking for an exact replacement. Thanks

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-11-02 13:59

    What's wrong with the engine in it? Can it be repaired?

  4. #4RZucker2019-11-02 15:51

    This was my thoughts too. Got called in once by the owner of a D8H that had bought a D342 engine from a genset to replace his trashed engine... Guess what? the Genset engine had an entirely different crankshaft and could not be used in his crawler. I had already done the homework and backed out. Later he sued a guy that quoted him a price to do the swap not knowing the crankshaft would have to be changed until the engine was on the floor. Even after I told the owner that it WOULD NOT fit.

  5. #5kshansen2019-11-02 16:30

    Very true! I'm just thinking problems with flywheel housing and fuel systems would be very different. Plus is one a counter bored block and one a spacer plate engine? I think I'll stop thinking now!

  6. #6kshansen2019-11-02 16:32

    Yea but you were the dummy who just didn't want to do the job in his mind!

  7. #7Junk runner2019-11-02 18:06

    I bought it with a bad engine there is a big hole on both sides of the block.

  8. #8RZucker2019-11-02 18:14

    Tried to explain the flywheel flange pattern was different and yes I was the dummy because so and so said it was the same. Guy fell off a ladder and broke his neck, lingered for a week or so and died before the lawsuit really got going. The guy he sued got the machine and engine pretty much for free since the family could care less.

  9. #9kshansen2019-11-04 12:05

    Well can't really click on "like" for that but at least the guy who was getting sued might have learned something or maybe not!

  10. #10kshansen2019-11-04 12:10

    That might be the best solution unless you want a major project and can at least confirm some of the major parts on the truck engine are the same, like block, head and crank. Not a bad job if one has experience with those engines but sure could snowball in to a major headache if trying it as a first time engine project.

  11. #11Junk runner2019-11-13 11:54

    Do all 3306di engines have the same block? Also what about cranks I know some have straight cut gears and some spiral not sure what application normally has what? From what I read they can be changed though?

  12. #12Nige2019-11-13 13:44

    What's the Serial Number of the engine that's in the machine right now.?

  13. #13Junk runner2019-11-13 14:02

    13739637. I’m waiting to hear back on the model and serial number of the engine I found for a very reasonable price. It’s an 89 model but a farm truck sprayer application not out of a piece of equipment. For the price and the low hours I don’t mind switching everything over that i would need to.

  14. #14Nige2019-11-13 15:54

    I think there may be an error in your number. Did you mean 13Z instead of 137..? That would make more sense. Engine S/N 13Z39637 cross references to a 973LGP S/N 86G03276. Engine Arrangement is 119-6892.

  15. #15Junk runner2019-11-13 15:57

    You are correct it’s a z the bottom of the z wasn’t stamped well so it looked like a 7 in the picture I have of the model and serial number.

  16. #16Junk runner2019-11-13 16:19

    74z06618. Is the other motor.

  17. #17Nige2019-11-13 16:34

    I’ll have a look at then tomorrow to see how close they are in spec & iron to one another.

  18. #18Junk runner2019-11-13 16:38

    Thanks I appreciate the help

  19. #19Bluox2019-11-13 19:08

    Better look again 74Z is a D 11N. Bob

  20. #20Junk runner2019-11-13 21:18

    Thanks and yes that was a typo it’s 64z06618

  21. #21Bluox2019-11-13 22:48

    A 64Z should be a 3306B industrial motor, on the other hand a 63Z is a 3306B truck motor. Bare in mind the serial number is on the block so by now who knows what these 40 ish year old motors really are. Good luck Bob

  22. #22Nige2019-11-14 04:40

    Bob's absolutely right. What's in either of those engines could be very different from what the book says it should be, especially the proposed donor engine that was built 30 years ago. FWIW, here's what the book says....... S/N 13Z3937. Arrangement #118-6892. Built 15/APR/1997. Specs 230 BHP @ 2200 RPM, 735 ft.lb. @ 1400 RPM. S/N 64Z06618. Arrangement #9Z-5709. Built 29/MAR/1988. Specs 300 BHP @ 2100 RPM, 805 ft.lb. @ 1400 RPM. Here's the problem. 9Z-5709 is a Custom Shop Arrangement and I can't find too much in the way of detailed information on it anywhere in the electronic system that would enable me to make a straight comparison between the two engines. The info probably exists, but it will be on paper or on a microfiche somewhere. The only thing I came up with is that it is an C-Rated (Intermittent Duty) Industrial Engine.

  23. #23Nige2019-11-14 04:55

    Major components of the two engines, as built. All bets are off as to what they have today. Note a couple of of caveats in italics because the information is not clear. Cylinder Block Gp - 7N-6550 - same. Cylinder Head Gp - 8N-0246 - same. Crankshaft Gp. 13Z engine has 4P-9856, 64Z engine has 6N-8079. The crankshaft bearings are the same. 6N-8079 appears to be an earlier version of 4P-9856 because it's listed as fitting engines in the S/N range 13Z32120-35960 for the 973 Loader. On that basis the crank from the donor engine ought to work. Piston & Rod Gp. 13Z has 9Y-8219 (16:1). 64Z engine appears to have 2W-1177 (16:1). This difference between the two arrangements is the piston body - 165-4262 vs 168-4531.

  24. #24Cmark2019-11-14 05:12

    Caterpillar's meticulous documentation of pretty much everything that ever left the factory over the past 70 odd years is truly a joy and a blessing for those in need, but sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to be in a Cummins dominated world where we might just throw in any old truck engine of the same model and hope and pray for the best.... (But I don't wonder it for long)

  25. #25Nige2019-11-14 05:56

    I must admit my heart sank as soon as I saw that 9Z-5709 Arrangement Number on the proposed donor engine. I didn't go as far as checking but I assumed that the Fuel injection Pump, injectors, and turbo would be different, simply based on the 70 BHP power difference between the two engines.

  26. #26kshansen2019-11-14 09:32

    Deleted wrong info!

  27. #27Nige2019-11-14 09:38

    Ken, the 64Z-prefix was a TIER I retrofit to various models of articulated truck (the old DJB products before Cat bought them out), but one option comes up as an industrial engine. I suspect it's that one. I could've sworn that the OP said somewhere that it was a takeout from a piece of farm machinery. See post #14 on page 1.

  28. #28Junk runner2019-11-14 10:24

    Thank you for all the information it sounds like I could strip it down to a long block and put all my parts back on it. It is out of one of those big tired fertizler trucks used on farms.

  29. #29Bluox2019-11-14 10:30

    Cummins parts system is as good or better than Cat .Serial number and CPL gets you a list of every part in that motor plus which parts are machine or truck parts. So if you want to build a motor you get the CPL and get after it. Bob

  30. #30Bluox2019-11-14 10:34

    You may be in luck that serial number should be a 3306.vehicle motor Bob