embarrassingly I've run my commercial fishing boat in Alaskan waters 30 years, not understanding how this solenoid works... yikes. I thought the fuel was always on, and solenoid activated to kill the engine(seems like a good way to set it up!!).. learning the 3306 is set up, solenoid energizes to open fuel... and it fails... my engine dies... and could happen at a pretty inopportune time... could lose the boat, or worse. I pulled the solenoid(had no spring... so no idea how it worked 30 years), and engine fired right up.... to kill, I reach in the housing and push the level to kill.... oddly pulling the lever full back... then 1/2 unch further against spring pressure also kills the engine? Don't they make a solenoid that extends on energize? I'm not leaving the dock again relying on a solenoid to keep my engine running... though 30 years no problems is a solid argument it's ok. I see the new Cat solenoids are made in China? Seriously? More reason in my mind not to go with that set up!!! Thanks for any feedback.
also realizing since this solenoid is wired not through the key switch, I kill the engine... toss the anchor for 10 days, the solenoid is constantly energized? Why not wire this with a toggle switch, or through the key? If you are going with the standard Cat set up?
Yes you can have it either way. Energise to run or energise to stop. Energise to stop arrangements are typically run through a timer circuit or a simple push button. Engine serial number required for more information.
Ah ok… this one confused me as engine started once I took the solenoid out…. I assumed it was energize to open… momentary interrupt to kill… What was odd was there was no spring, so made no sense as to how the arm extended to kill the engine… Solenoid must have been worn and jammed in the kill position as this set up IS energize to stop the engine/cut fuel. I assume when energized the electro magnet pulls the lever towards it? Clever set up … nice to now kind of understand it… Thanks