Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306 genset

gotigers ยท 2023-03-22 18:19

Need some knowledge. I have a 3306 gen motor. What size kw head will that run?

Replies12
  1. #1Jonas3022023-03-22 18:48

    I'm sure there is a formula Hp to kw but you would tend to see those around 150kw

  2. #2Nige2023-03-22 19:57

    Got a Serial Number or Arrangement Number from the data plate.? It won't take too much to look up the factory spec for that particular engine arrangement.

  3. #3gotigers2023-03-22 21:24

    I was hoping you would pipe in nige. I'll run to the shop and get back to ya. Little history the gen head that i have now was hooked to a d333 until it overheated and that was that. Came across an ag 3306, put appropiate genset fuel pump on it got about 2 months out of it till gen head caught on fire. Crushers are a bitch. Motor good just looking for the right gen head to put behind it.

  4. #4gotigers2023-03-22 22:33

    serial#66d31288 arr#7n3389 model 3306 pc

  5. #5Birken Vogt2023-03-23 00:17

    You can put on a way oversize gen head if you want to. It will take barely any more power to turn it, most of the power demand is simply the demand of the equipment on the other end of the cable. If you put on an oversize gen head, the chances of it burning down are much lower.

  6. #6gotigers2023-03-23 12:33

    thanks fella's. Love this sight

  7. #7Nige2023-03-23 12:38

    That particular 3306 was originally built for a Steiger tractor. Is it the Ag engine you mentioned further up.? Details are scarce on it TBH.

  8. #8Nige2023-03-24 17:54

    Best I can find is 240 BHP @ 2200 RPM & 768 ft lb of torque @ 1700 RPM. That may be right but I won't swear on it. It's actually listed in the system as a D333C engine, not a 3306, but there probably won't be that much of a difference between the two models.

  9. #9Bluox2023-03-25 15:04

    That engine is a 3306 not a D333c and there is quite a bit of difference between them. This is the problem with swapping motors from one use to another. Bad Bob

  10. #10Nige2023-03-26 12:22

    I completely agree, which is why I said I wouldn't swear to it. Further digging has revealed that the 66D prefix Industrial Engine is similar to the engines fitted to some models of track-type tractor and track-type loader of the same era. It started life as a D333C when first built and then switched to being a 3306 from S/N 66D8891. So 66D31288 is confirmed as a 3306 even though the latest version of SIS incorrectly describes all the 66D product as a D333C. This is a lack of flexibility in SIS2.0 that legacy SIS did not have. Progress I suppose..... I also found a Steiger Tractor data sheet for a 3306 engine. Possibly this data could be more accurate. Again there are no guarantees but seeing as the document was produced by Steiger and the 7N3389 Arrgt was only built for Steiger it stands a chance of being somewhat close. An Intermittent Rating of 250 BHP @ 2100 RPM.

  11. #11gotigers2023-03-27 15:45

    Thanks, I replaced the fuel pump as i mentioned early with a stationary, genset type fuel pump and governer.

  12. #12Nige2023-03-27 19:14

    All other parameters being equal the engine would develop around 15% less HP at 1800 RPM compared to whatever it would be rated for at 2100 RPM. In addition to that the difference in power for the same engine between an Intermittent Rating in an Ag tractor application and a Continuous Rating as used by a genset would be a further 15% or so reduction. If the 250 BHP above is correct then best-case scenario somewhere around 180 BHP is a reasonable estimate of the maximum power it would produce, assuming that the IP/governor were set up appropriately.