Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

331G electric issues causing def fault code

Jacrya · 2024-03-07 06:37

Good morning, I’ve got a John Deer 331G skid steer. It’s throwing 5 different fault codes. It’s also saying “Def fault code, power and speed is decreased” two days ago it worked just fine. I cleaned both ground contacts by the fuse boxes. Any other ideas? It seems like it may be a ground issue. Thanks

Replies23
  1. #1mg23612024-03-07 12:19

    Need 2 things. The complete machine serial number, and a list of all the codes, active and stored, in their numerical format (SPN/FMI).

  2. #2Jacrya2024-03-26 14:38

    Sorry for my delay, DCU 4341.05 DCU 523557.07 DCU 523636.00 VCU 522820.05 EMU 920.05 SN: 1T0331GMVJF343122

  3. #3mg23612024-03-27 05:48

    4341.05 - DEF dosing unit pressure line heater has high resistance 523557.07 - SCR termination. Basically the SCR system is shut down due to another issue. 523636.00 - Engine is in Derate 522820.05 - High flow solenoid circuit fault 920.05 - Alarm output circuit fault The 4341.05 is why your engine power is derated.

  4. #4Pop Pop 19722024-07-07 19:10

    How do I clear the codes

  5. #5mg23612024-07-08 05:23

    Ignition on. Press and hold the menu button until "SERVICE MENU" appears in the screen. Release the button. Scroll to diagnostics, then codes, press select. Scroll to clear, press select. Active codes will not clear.

  6. #6fairytrade882025-03-04 09:44

    523636.00 3216.17 522828.07 523586.03 523601.01 1761.01 523636.16 Send it to the dealer they put a right hand side cab harness on it we got it back ran it for 4 hours went in the limp mode found out that they put diesel in the DEF tank flush DEF tank change filters on dosing unit these are the codes that keep coming back

  7. #7mg23612025-03-04 12:08

    Welcome to HEF fairytrade88 ! This is the culprit if it is active, or if it has many counts of stored. It is usually caused by a broken wire within 2 inches of the DEF injector. Easy enough to check. If your harness has the "chinese fingers" type of wire loom, the break usually occurs where that loom ends at the injector. If it is in fact a broken wire, just fix it. If the dealer replaced the right side harness, they picked the wrong side. The DEF injector wiring is the left harness.

  8. #8fairytrade882025-03-04 12:40

    I had seen your previous post about that and I checked it and that is not the issue

  9. #9fairytrade882025-03-04 12:43

    Also I don't think I mentioned that the dealer put about a quart of diesel in the DEF tank. Do think that the def header could have took a s***

  10. #10mg23612025-03-05 05:15

    What codes are active? Clear all the codes and post what comes back.

  11. #11fairytrade882025-07-17 14:54
  12. #12fairytrade882025-07-17 14:58

    Sorry it got put on back burner for a bit, put a new nox sensor on it, now it says the scr crapped out, could it be from the diesel in the def tank

  13. #13fairytrade882025-07-17 17:31

    And do you have any idea when running a dosing test what the parameters are how many milliliters or whatnot

  14. #14Island_catguy2025-07-17 22:44

    That’s crazy, if the dealer put def they should have replaced everything for free. I’ve fixed a lot of diesel in def problems. If you don’t change out everything, one will bite you down the road.

  15. #15fairytrade882025-07-17 22:47

    They really didn't want to do much about it because we had it in our possession for about 3 days before we actually put it out on the job and it started all this b******* over again, I hired on to this company like 6 months ago with a whole bunch of patch repairs on s*** so I got to fix their butcher job and then find the origin of the original problem

  16. #16Island_catguy2025-07-17 22:54

    So I have never done a John Deere, but I do a ton of cat. If I had only these three codes left, I would pull the def injector and run a def injector spray pattern test. Not sure what it is on your program but might be under bidirectional tests. You wanna see a nice cone shaped spray pattern so that the def atomizes into the mixer housing. While it is out, check inside the hole for def crystallized. Have you already run a few regens? Maybe it has a different name like aftertreatment test. Cat won’t let you run with active codes, but those look stored and might be able to be cleared so you can run these tests. Worse case you will pull the scr and clean it. Little bit of labor but I think it should clear everything. When I run into these issues and have already replaced everything but cannot run any tests due to active codes, I just let it idle. Eventually the machine will sense it is working again and clear everything. Good luck

  17. #17fairytrade882025-07-17 23:02

    I intend on doing a quantity dose test tomorrow and I'll give me a chance to look at the spray pattern my only concern is the machine did run for a few hours before it originally went in the limp mode the codes that are there they were cleared, and I put about an hour and a half on it after that trying to see if it'll go back in limp mode but will be doing a dosing test tomorrow, my concerns are is that it already blew the face off of the scr they had the DOC the DPF and the SCR cleaned about a year ago I'm worried there's damage to the face of the scr. These codes came up after I replaced the nox sensor. Scr codes are new from today thanks for the guidance.

  18. #18fairytrade882025-07-17 23:04

    And yes I did run a regen I just have to put more time on it to see if it'll go back in it mode

  19. #19fairytrade882025-07-17 23:05

    Limp*

  20. #20Island_catguy2025-07-18 00:17

    So right now, there are no active codes?

  21. #21fairytrade882025-07-18 00:26

    Correct, but I still need to put another hour or two on it because that's normally when it will go in a limp mode anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Hopefully it don't and I will check for crystallization tomorrow as well

  22. #22Island_catguy2025-07-18 00:29

    Ok nice. Yeah I’ve had quite a few machines and trucks put diesel in the def. Fun times.

  23. #23mg23612025-07-18 05:26

    Quantity test spec of the DEF injector is 1.7 - 2.0 ounces (50-60 mL). In our Service Advisor, it is an automated test that runs for a predetermined amount of time, not a time that we would monitor. How many hours are on the machine? That's not good. Has the engine been run with the diesel in the DEF tank? If it had been run, then a complete system replacement might be necessary. I would be going after the dealer if they had done that. Also, make sure the correct NOX sensor is in the correct location. The inlet NOX sensor has 5 wires on the connector, and the outlet NOX sensor has 4 wires.