Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

334 Bobcat tie downs

BAD5oh ยท 2011-02-21 19:01

After reading so many different opinions about chaining down equipment, I decided to play it as safe as I can and use 4 chains and binders for our 334 (and another for the boom) and skid steers. Now on the 334 there is only one hook under the back of the machine. What i used to do was loop one long chain through it and then use a binder between the tracks to tighten the chain and not let it rub against the rubber tracks. I was thinking of welding d-rings on the sides in between the tracks right next to the drive motors so i could use 4 chains. Opinions please. Good idea??

Replies5
  1. #1DGODGR2011-02-22 01:10

    If your machine is like my 435 there are some holes in the car body right in front of the drive sprokets. You can hook these with the hook on the chain. I thought that the newer ones even had loops built in the same area. If neither are there I think that you will be fine if you weld correctly. I'm not sure if you are talking about the inside or the outside of the car body (for your d-ring locations). If you weld to the outside of the car body the d-rings may be pretty close to the tie down point on your trailer. IMO the shorter the length of the chain, the harder it will be to get good tension on the chain. This may be significant if you are using breakover binders instead of the ratcheting type.

  2. #2BLconst2011-02-24 10:54

    on my 331 I was busted for the one chain and a binder. I now run two chains from the loop under rear of machine to each side of trailer with its own binder. to prevent rubbing I have a mark on the trailer where the blade goes and the rear D rings placed far enough back that it doesnt touch the track. the slack in the chain in the middle should be cut in half and the excess wrap around binders. I normally tie wire binders, thats the big probable cause around here for the man with the aluminum clipboard:notworthy You do bring up a good note if that one loop counts as two tie down points.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2011-02-24 21:10

    I thought under 10,000lbs you only needed 1 front 1 back and then 1 for the boom.

  4. #4DGODGR2011-02-24 22:16

    I'm pretty sure that there are a set of rules that apply to those of you North of the border, and a diiferent set for those of us South of it. On top of that each state has it's own variations of the base DOT rules. I have never heard of a rule that says how many chains are required for a certain amount of weight. How's your 315 holding up CD? I have an '03 (has about 4600 hrs now) and it's holding up well.

  5. #5Canadian_digger2011-02-26 17:32

    3400hrs on it so far. No problems yet. Seems to be a little slower than I would like tho.