Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406C 3ZJ Catasrophic failure — what to do??

JNewton ยท 2025-06-15 23:56

I recently bought a 1992 Peterbilt with a Cat 3406C 3ZJ full mecchanical engine. Engine is locked up, pulled pan and several piece of metal in the pan and at least 2 of the main appear black from overheating. Looking for suggestions on what to do next. Truck is not main source of income more of a project. I am guessing that sending the block and crank to a machine shop would be crazy expensive. I have a lead on a 5EK that is using antifreeze so that would need to be addressed and I have been told that I would need all the wiring harness and computer from a donor truck to make it work which is not availale. Looking for some advise on what you guys would do. Thanks in advance for all of your expertise.

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-06-16 09:47

    That all depends on the condition of the rest of the truck. A decent used take out is 9 to 10K a rebuilt complete 28k plus depending on brand of parts used. And most likely any out there as rebuilders need a bunch of machine work, 32 years have passed since that engine was produced. Best to find a rebuildable core, expect minimum of 22K even doing the work yourself.

  2. #2JNewton2025-06-16 12:19

    thank you for the options, I have a 12.7 Detroit in a 97 Pete, I was told that motor was using antifreeze. I was hoping to stick with Cat but maybe I should look into fixing the Detroit and using that.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-06-16 14:07

    Liner low in deck, liner protrusion with Series 60 is critical for the fact those didn't have much protrusion when new or issue with head.