Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406C exhaust sleaves, reinstall or not?

JPV ยท 2021-04-11 10:50

We are working on the D-8R sn# 7XM2565 doing a bunch of stuff to it. The main problem was the turbo broke the shaft and the cold side impeller exploded so we had to pull the cover off the aftercooler to get all the parts out. The exhaust manifold had 1 broke stud so we pulled it off to reseal it, every single one of the rest broke! Anyway the reason for this post is to see what opinions on the sleaves that slide in the exhaust ports are. Should we replace them or leave them out? I don't really know what the point of them is and have seen two different C-15's loose turbos when they start breaking up and sending chunks down stream. SIS doesn't show them for this motor but it had them in it.

Replies14
  1. #1kshansen2021-04-11 13:31

    Best I can see is starting with your machine number 7XM02565 and going in SIS and looking in the "As Built" section and it says your Engine S/n should be 41Z08674. Then if I go to the parts breakdown for the cylinder head for that engine S/N I find the page in PDF attached. Item #17 shows the sleeves. Then I also found this statement in another long document about overhaul kits for 3406 engines: Exhaust Sleeves Only use the 194-8124 Sleeve that is found in the package that is labeled "BB" if your engine is listed in the table below. Use of the sleeves is not optional. If the sleeves are used and not needed, engine performance could be compromised. Also, if the sleeves are not used and should be used engine performance could be compromised. I'll leave the decisions to others just posting what I was able to see on SIS, no direct experience on the sleeves.

  2. #2Nige2021-04-11 14:29

    My SIS does when I search under the machine Serial Number 7XM02565. The sleeve is shown for all engines S/N 41Z1-Up Also recommended to replace during overhaul, and the original P/N has been replaced by an updated one. See attachments. Maybe worth a thought as to why those sleeves have fallen apart in your past experience could be that they were never replaced.?

  3. #3JPV2021-04-11 15:22

    Thanks you guys, somehow I missed all that. I will be replacing them. The C-15's I have no idea how many hours those sleeves had before they started to break up, they could have been original, would have been around 7 - 800,000 miles.

  4. #4Nige2021-04-11 16:10

    Don't beat yourself up, I missed them the first time. Was looking in the exhaust manifold parts listing, not the cylinder head.

  5. #5JPV2021-04-11 20:35

    That's what I did, on the C-15 they are part of the exhaust gasket not separate like these so I didn't even think about looking at the head.

  6. #6kshansen2021-04-12 09:22

    I never worked on an engine with these sleeves, are they used to "restrict" the exhaust flow to speed up the flow or something of that nature kind of like a venturi effect in a carburetor?

  7. #7Coaldust2021-04-12 14:08

    I think the purpose is to direct the heat away from the head and manifold interfaces to help prevent manifold studs from breaking.

  8. #8Nige2021-04-12 16:24

    Didn't help much in this case then did it..?

  9. #9Cmark2021-04-12 17:01

    I attended a training course back in the day when the electronic engines were first being delivered. From memory, I think the sleeves are to help the exhaust gas retain heat which increases the efficiency of the turbocharger. I'm not saying the sleeves only came out with the E series, just that it was the first time I heard what they were for.

  10. #10lantraxco2021-04-12 20:16

    All I remember is stocking studs and sleeves by the carload, and *many* updates, changes, service bulletins.. ad nauseum. CAT should have spent a nickel and upsized the hardware, and maybe longer studs and spacers? YMMV

  11. #11JPV2021-04-12 20:57

    A little bigger studs would help! One thing it looks to me like is that the flange is about the same thickness of the gasket and seals like the gasket between the manifold and the head therefore maybe keeping some of the pressure off of the gasket . The head is machined so they fit fairly snug. The boys at Cat couldn't tell me what the point of them were either when I picked them up, one of them said they were Cats way of selling more turbos when they came apart...

  12. #12Cmark2021-04-13 01:40

    Knowledge is power. Now the next time you go in you can trade the answer for a coffee.

  13. #13Nige2021-04-13 12:56

    File it in the "I thought everyone knew THAT..." basket.

  14. #14JD955SC2021-04-14 06:32

    I did a C-15 with the integrated sleeves and manifold gaskets. It had four broken studs when it came in for the resulting massive exhaust leak but only one more broke on me upon removal so I got the joy of drilling those out. This was my first venture into the 3046/C15 world so I was surprised to find these cup/gasket things. The three that were leaking had eroded the gasket material heavily