Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406c information

Nimitz4300 · 2022-12-30 00:26

hey guys! ok so I picked up a 3406c and im gonna use the engine for another truck. its bone stock with 398,000 miles. the wiring harness is crap and i found a harness from Cat for $488 but i also have the option to convert it to mechanical. my father in law has a B model pump i can use. now my question is if i convert it i want to match it as best i can i do not plan on turning the engine up much. i have the 4ck15380 engine the tag does not have the AR number. all i no is its 350hp at 1800 with 10 timing. i have a set of 0r-8289 injector nozzle's but no one seems to no what injector numbers are for what arrangement. Cat website serial number break down says i have the pistons(7e-0292) that match to the 15.6.1 compression. if i could get 435hp id be happy but it does not have to be that much for what im doing with the truck. any help would greatly appreciated im looking for injector numbers for a 435 or 400 hp motor and turbo combos i could try. everything else i got a pretty good idea. Thanks!

Replies23
  1. #1Coaldust2022-12-30 00:43

    Does it have a Jake Brake?

  2. #2skyking12022-12-30 00:49

    my B is s 325 horse, am I doing it wrong?

  3. #3Coaldust2022-12-30 00:51

    Let’s just say, Earl’s going to be riding with you.

  4. #4skyking12022-12-30 01:00

    Earl ain't gonna care much for that buckboard over yonder.

  5. #5Coaldust2022-12-30 01:10

    Nimitz, Yeah, you don’t want a PEEC. Nightmare to get parts for and they suck. Seriously, the best way to research that custom 3406B tuning mix & match is to study the CAT TMI database and look at parts books. Nothin’ pulls like a Caterpillar. Knowwhatimsayin?

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-12-30 07:49

    If you have a little time--a friend of mine a Cat 3406 veteran---has a matrix for all the possibilities by AR and Ser#s. More than likely what you will end up with is a B with a 3ZJ prefix. The 3ZJ had the best specs of the B models, 4MG second. But you will want the advance unit that matches those prefixes. There are slight differences. Some time this weekend.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2022-12-30 08:52

    3zj I ran in a ltl was a factory mechanical when I got it still had the safety tie on the pump. Had the fuel screws out about 4 turns and fiddled with the afr control. Averaged near 7 that's only loaded half the time and fairly light. Up near 80000 could keep up with most of them. Wasn't too smokey and the pie gauge never saw over 950 or so. It probably should have had the advance rebuilt but I never got there till the boss bought a new 13 letter.

  8. #8Nige2022-12-30 10:18

    Engine 4CK15380 was originally built as Arrgt # 6I-3401, Test Spec 2T-5040. Spec is 343 BHP @ 1800 RPM. Torque 1250 ft lb @ 1200

  9. #9mitch5042022-12-30 11:31

    Interesting what you say about the 3zj. The only 3406 I have ever owned is the one I have now, a 3zj. It will pull hell off the hinges, and isn't bad on the highway. I always thought it was mostly down to the 4.30 rears and the lowhole 9-speed. POS WhiteGMC truck, great powertrain and suspension. Just curiosity, Nige, could you give those specs on 03zj31779g, thanks in advance.

  10. #10Nige2022-12-30 11:43

    S/N 3ZJ31779, as originally built. Arrgt 4P-0994, Test Spec 0T9538. 392 BHP @ 2000 RPM, torque 1390 ft lb @ 1200 RPM.

  11. #11Nige2022-12-30 11:44

    BTW I second the comments regarding the PEEC system installed on the OP's engine. F'kin horrible system, I still have nightmares about gensets we had configured that way.

  12. #12Tyler d4c2022-12-30 12:59

    In a truck they where bad but in a genny how could it be trusted at all. What all was that system ever on?

  13. #13Nige2022-12-30 13:33

    You'd think in a genset running at constant speed without all the imposed impact loads of a truck engine bouncing down the highway they might perform better. The issues we had were often related to altitude compensation. The map of atmospheric pressure vs fuel timing vs injection in the PEEC system were crude to say the least. The ADEMI/II 3500 engines of the day were light years ahead of the PEECs.

  14. #14Coaldust2022-12-30 14:11

    I didn’t realize PEEC was used on anything but truck engines. Wow. What a nightmare.

  15. #15Truck Shop2022-12-30 16:05

    The Peec was known to break the timing sensor arm on the advance unit, A bulletin by cat said aerated oil caused the arm to break.

  16. #16Nige2022-12-30 18:20

    I came across both 3408 & 3412 PEEC engines in gensets back in the day.

  17. #1792U 34062022-12-30 20:08

    I remember seeing a box labled "PEEC Tools" in the toolcrib and then thanking the Lord that we did not touch on road engines and that 99% of what we worked on was newer than 2005.

  18. #18Coaldust2022-12-30 22:20

    On road engines are a special kind of hell. If it’s my pile of crap fleet rig, fine. Three Million Mile Bubba’s pride & joy, fresh off the interstate, cab full of **** jugs, bad decisions and broken dreams, just shoot me.

  19. #19Nige2022-12-30 23:05

    And here's one in all its glory. The PEEC box is mounted at an angle above the aftercooler intake plenum.

  20. #20Truck Shop2023-01-01 15:15

    Posted once and never returned.

  21. #21Coaldust2023-01-01 21:08

    He’s probably watching some Patrick Swayzy movies. He’ll return.

  22. #22Nimitz43002023-01-11 22:26

    Hey everyone sorry it's been so long to get back with you. Ok after doing alittle more research. I have the opportunity to use injectors, turbo, aftercooler, timing advance, and injector pump off of that B model I mentioned. We do not no the serial number from the motor but we do no it was from a 425hp B model. The turbo number is after market everything else is Cat numbers. I have a place that can recalibrate the pump to match only thing left is I need a injector number to match a 400hp motor Cat wouldn't tell me anything lol. If it helps I'm not gonna be pulling heavy I'm gonna use the truck as toy hauler or for when I get on market place and fund more stuff to buy lol. It's gonna have 3.73 rears with 11r 22.5 and I haven't decided if I want a 15 speed or a 10 over with a 2 or 3 speed behind it. My goal is to get atleast 6.5-7.5 mpg out of it keeping up with traffic. I'm not a left lane runner. I save that for nights on to much caffeine lol

  23. #23Nimitz43002023-01-11 22:27

    I'm sorry it took me so long to reply holiday was little hectic than I broke my phone. I don't own a computer lol