Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

#3406C low power

Dave Neubert · 2024-05-01 16:13

3er01959 this is a high horse 525 hp in a drill rig motor bogs down under load. fuel pressure is 35- 40 psi under load, boost 15-17 psi replaced fuel lines,fuel filter, rebuilt injection pump no blow by on engine, any one have any ideas motor exhaust hardly smokes under load ,tried bi passing fuel air ratio valve I'm out of ideas

Replies43
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-05-01 17:01

    Is it a mechanical c or peec set up

  2. #2cfherrman2024-05-01 19:14

    Don't know cats much but fuel pressure seems low and so does boost. Might need injectors if fuel pressure is fine or after getting it into spec still doesn't boost higher

  3. #3Dave Neubert2024-05-02 07:17

    both are with in specs fuel pressure 35-40 boost 18psi

  4. #4Dave Neubert2024-05-02 07:17

    Mechanical

  5. #5Vetech632024-05-02 08:04

    I'm wondering if the injectors are atomizing the fuel properly. How does it start?

  6. #6terex herder2024-05-02 08:16

    Complete air intake system check, from inlet to turbo. Physically check entire system for obstructions. Why was injection pump rebuilt?

  7. #7Mobiltech2024-05-02 08:44

    When you say you bypassed air fuel ratio do you mean you turned the adjustment screw in all the way. If this is driving the drill through a hydraulic pump have you checked that the pump is set right? Is it a waste gated turbo? That fuel pressure is normal but I’m surprised the boost is that low of a spec to make 525 hp. If the fuel pump was rebuilt did they detune it from where it had been set before rebuild.

  8. #8Dave Neubert2024-05-02 11:05

    Starts good

  9. #9Dave Neubert2024-05-02 11:08

    The performance chart calls for 18 psi unless 36.5 hg conversion was wrong

  10. #10Dave Neubert2024-05-02 11:10

    No I put the correct block off plate on the pump. no waste gate pump was set 10% over

  11. #11cfherrman2024-05-02 11:32

    This engine is probably on draworks or a mud pump, belt or chain drive. I can't see a complaint on low HP with a 525 HP engine and boost only being 18 psi and that being normal. I don't know cats, very little. That thing needs more boost to make 525 HP and your not getting it.

  12. #12Shimmy12024-05-02 11:40

    Pull the exhaust off turbo and check the turbine wheel.

  13. #13Nige2024-05-02 12:26

    I'm not going to get involved in the diagnostics but here are a few figures from the original dyno test for 3ER01959. Unless the engine arrangement has been modified since it was built they should still be valid. Rated BHP - 500 @ 2100 RPM. Adjusted boost pressure at full power - 58.0 inches Hg or 28.5psi. Fuel pressure - 35psi. FL Static Fuel Setting - 0.124" FT Static Fuel Setting - 0.134"

  14. #14Shimmy12024-05-02 14:16

    Little short of boost.......

  15. #15Truck Shop2024-05-02 18:43

    Advance.

  16. #16Shimmy12024-05-02 19:24

    Ten pounds short?

  17. #17Truck Shop2024-05-02 19:39

    )))}}}.

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-05-02 19:41

    Technically---yes, but I'm wondering which advance this has.

  19. #19Nige2024-05-02 20:00

    It was originally built as a DI engine with jacket water aftercooling. Is it still like that.?

  20. #20Dave Neubert2024-05-02 20:03

    yes the specs I got from Cat said 18 psi the one you got is higher

  21. #21Dave Neubert2024-05-02 20:04

    It has a oil pressure advance

  22. #22Nige2024-05-02 20:10

    Check your messages. I sent you the full 0T spec.

  23. #23chidog2024-05-02 22:20

    What is the whole story? When did this start to happen? And is that why you did all the work to it? Maybe the gizmo that the flywheel or pto is hooked to has the problem, and is just over loading it? This is just more info to think about. Is the governor responding to the load? Is pump timed correctly? I thought I remember the old school advance having an occasional slipping problem, its been so long don't know.

  24. #24Dave Neubert2024-05-03 07:52

    Was working fine then as I was told it started bogging it runs a air compressor should build 350 psi starts bogging at 200 psi with very little smoke timing good governor seems to respond

  25. #25Dave Neubert2024-05-10 14:52

    Came back to let everyone know that a set of OR injectors fixed my problem

  26. #26Truck Shop2024-05-10 17:30

    Plugged--it was great when ATF could be added to fuel. But that red stuff turns a tank red.

  27. #27Coaldust2024-05-10 18:21

    Did the new nozzles bring the boost back to spec?

  28. #28Dave Neubert2024-05-11 07:23

    Yes engine don't drop any RPM under load

  29. #29Vetech632024-05-11 08:56

    Who’s this guy? What a jerk

  30. #30cfherrman2024-05-11 09:02

    That's post #6, look at post #3, even more a jerk than you

  31. #31Coaldust2024-05-11 12:31

    I’ve had Cat nozzles kick my ass like that, in the past. Like Vetech63 mentioned. Hard starting is a great clue. We forget about the easy stuff.

  32. #32cfherrman2024-05-11 12:32

    Turbo spools on a load, you can't get loaded up without injectors or compression

  33. #33Coaldust2024-05-11 12:35

    Having the OT spec is so valuable. The service manual is just a guide with generic specs. Nige is a gentleman to provide that info, time and time again.

  34. #34Truck Shop2024-05-11 16:35

    I don't know what we would do without Vetech & BlueOx, two of the best.

  35. #35Dave Neubert2024-05-12 15:08

    Never suspected injectors started great sounded good no puffing or miss. the governor on the injection pump was wore out so it needed a rebuild anyway

  36. #36Nige2024-05-12 15:13

    So the injectors were just the last piece of the puzzle to get it to run right.?

  37. #37Truck Shop2024-05-12 18:23

    It's why I brought up ATF in the fuel-----Anyone running a stationary should dump a couple quarts in the tank from time to time. The on road diesel cops won't be checking. ATF was the common cure for years worked well for unclogging Cat pencil nozzles, plus it was cheap.

  38. #38Vetech632024-05-12 19:10
  39. #39Truck Shop2024-05-12 19:21

    The real Vetech--at his second job. *

  40. #40terex herder2024-05-13 08:43

    I wonder what ATF would do in a Tier 4, DPF, DEF, HPCR, and all? I do remember all the wags who were selling their snake oils when ULSD came out, saying all RoosaMaster pumps were going to turn to junk.

  41. #41Truck Shop2024-05-13 09:37

    More than likely nothing.

  42. #42cfherrman2024-05-13 09:41

    Probably be easier on the emission equipment as it has more BTU than diesel.

  43. #43Dave Neubert2024-05-13 19:44

    yes