Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3412E overhaul

absoluteyukon ยท 2022-01-01 01:48

Hey all, have a 3412E out of an AKT prefixed 10R on the bench, figured I'd post some pictures of the overhaul as it progresses for anyone who may be interested. Incomplete service records on the tractor, has around 43k frame hours. Engine was remaned in '09 by an outfit calling themselves "URS", I've done some light scratching around online and havent found any more relevant information than that. If anyone else out there has heard of them lemme know, itd be interesting to know some more history on this old girl. Steam washer decided to bite the biscuit half way through the preclean before disassembly, didnt make things any more enjoyable, but, nothing that a waltz in the ol' typhoon won't clear up. Cheers, and Happy New Years!

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2022-01-02 12:01

    The family photos in the back ground look nice.

  2. #2absoluteyukon2022-01-02 14:37

    Yeah, the ladies like to watch. I don't mind.

  3. #3absoluteyukon2022-01-15 02:00

    Hey all, heres a quick update on the overhaul, photos included; most of the parts have arrived (our supply chain is completely eviscerated, hard to believe it can be anything beyond design at this point, but that's a different conversation). Currently being trained on our recently purchased Rottler F98Y CNC engine mill by our in-house machinist. Learning curve is steep and satisfying. Love it. 12 new lower bores, 3 upper bores, main caps welded and bored to standard, deck heights surfaced true and taken down to minimum to crank center line to clean up fully (last overhaul on this casting). 5 lifter bores had to be machined and sleeved as well. Engine was pulled before failure, crank needs a polish and tomorrow I will paint the block, assembly begins monday. C-32 next. Cheers!

  4. #4absoluteyukon2022-01-23 23:09

    Here are a few more progress photos on the overhaul for anyone interested. I had originally planned on painting the block before assembly, but due to minor delays and deadlines approaching I had to forego the initial coat but will paint before accessories, hoses, harness, exhaust, etc and do any touch ups after the fact. The customer likes his gear to look as good as it runs and is willing to pay for it. So be it. Cheers!

  5. #5absoluteyukon2022-01-27 22:35

    Here are a couple more progress photos, I think the job is coming along well so far but we've been told the tractor needs to be back at work in a month, which shouldn't be a problem as long as there are no surprises... The tractor is being completely steamed out and re-hosed in the equipment shop, I'll poke my head in over there tomorrow and get a few shots for anyone who might be interested. Anyhow, 5am comes early (isn't being a knuckledragger wonderful?). Cheers!

  6. #6skyking12022-01-27 23:05

    Nice documentation. Thank you for posting!

  7. #7Nige2022-01-28 02:54

    You know those photos of the injectors make me shudder even now when I remember just how horrible those 3408/3412E engines were.

  8. #8absoluteyukon2022-01-28 06:49

    They certainly can be a dog's breakfast sometimes, the customer loves this thing though! That being said, he drops the oil at 250h religiously, runs Cat fluids and filters (no exceptions) and runs a robust S.O.S program on his fleet. Thus, he is compensated with very little unscheduled down time and gear that is always ready to work. He's been in the game long enough to know the cost of doing business and is quite successful at it. Now that I'm thinking on it, I believe that once the engine is finished, I have personally overhauled every component on that machine, minus one of the final drives... funny how a piece or iron can really become apart of one's life. Anyhow. Time to get my ass to work. Cheers!

  9. #9nicky 68a2022-01-28 07:13

    Nice to here an owner servicing his kit. Fair play to him.