Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

345. Log road pipe install

LogDog ยท 2009-05-02 14:39

ok here a few photos of what we call a "fish pipe" install scenario is, older road probably biult in the 60s, inside corner,has an existing 24"pipe. due to modern fish management rules we will be installing a 108"or 9ftx90ft long pipe in three sections. usually the bottom is 36" below bottom grade and whe pipe is in, we fill bottom of pipe up with rock the entire length, this is done with a tracked skidsteer unit starting at the far end of the pipe and working out. trucks dump rock on grade and I spoon it down to the bobcat. hope you enjoy Roger

Replies17
  1. #1Grouser2009-05-02 17:30

    Hi Roger, man you guys must have some big fish over there!

  2. #2special tool2009-05-03 08:12

    Good pics. Hey get a pic of that Bobcat inside the pipe, if you could - that will be an award winner pic.

  3. #3CAT345D L2009-05-03 09:05

    Nice looking pics you got there, what model cat is in the last pic a 330?

  4. #4LogDog2009-05-03 10:41

    yes the engineer's seem to have a good imagination!

  5. #5LogDog2009-05-03 10:48

    good Eye, yes that is a 330b. Roger

  6. #6Nuggethunting2009-05-05 17:39

    Hey LongDog and Other, A partner of mine just purchased a 2001 CAT 345BL. We will be using it on a mining operation here in Arizona. This is our first go around with a Trackhoe. I've had a lot of experience running forklifts of various sizes and some small backhoes over the years. Any suggestions on getting started, what to watch for and maint. issues? We are having the CAT delivered this coming weekend and I will have to drive the unit into the area where we are mining (fairly flat ground). Any suggestions on driving safety, warnings, alarms and such ...? Thanks for any advice in advance. Rob in Arizona

  7. #7Nuggethunting2009-05-05 17:42

    Hello All, Forgot to mention I visited the CAT website and downloaded three of the PDF files that were a lot of help also. Thanks, Rob in Arizona

  8. #8CAT345D L2009-05-06 19:57

    look at me go LOL. which one do you like better I know a few guys that would rather a 330 or the 345 and vice versa.

  9. #9JimBruce422009-05-06 22:14

    Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got some serious guarding on that 345c. Keep'em coming:drinkup Yeah, I'll take a 345 personally. I think they are weight a little better, feel more stable in my opinion.:cool2

  10. #10busdrivernine2009-05-07 00:28

    with the 7. inches of rain that we got in my area the county had 4 colverts was out this week end and we got contracted to help haul the fill dirt the culverts are 8 ft insided dia and about 50 ' long . will post pictures of job tomorrow if I have time to stop and take pictures track hoe was eating up our stock pile faster than we could haul it. Was going to do another one Weds but we got another rain storm another 1.5 inches in about 3 hrs but the sun came outh this evening and good weaher fo a couple of days .

  11. #11Grouser2009-05-07 00:37

    Hey Rob, try posting a thread on this, should be somebody near you that could come out and get you up to speed. Good luck!

  12. #12reddot5562009-05-10 13:46

    beautiful place to work..i'd probably get in trouble looking for big foot tracks

  13. #13Nuggethunting2009-05-25 21:16

    Hey Grouser, Yep, Im here in Arizona and would like any suggestions or tips on operation and maint. of this unit. We pretty much work the Trackhoe on the weekends and grease the entire unit every 10 hours or so. We also do a daily walk-around and check all the fluid levels and check for any type of leaks or anything that look abnormal. P.S. Someone mentioned you should never dig from the rear, always dig off the front so you don't put wear and tear on the pins ...? I also heard from another person this is not true. Any suggestions? Talk with you later, Rob

  14. #14JonesBros2009-05-25 21:22

    That is exactly what I have been taught, and what I teach. Always dig over the idler, not the sprocket.

  15. #15Nuggethunting2009-05-25 21:26

    Hey JonesBros, Thanks for the information. A trackhoe operator told me this, but then again another person told me something else. It makes sense to dig over the idler and not the sprocket, but was curious if you can tell me why is this? Does it have to do with wearing the sprocket with the weight and stress over it? I'm pretty Green when it comes to Trackhoe operating, even though I've picked up on it quickly. Any advice would be appreciated or reference to where I can find out more information about the CAT 345BL. P.S. I'm also looking to replace the bucket teeth, but having trouble locating a serial number on the bucket. Rob in Arizona

  16. #16JonesBros2009-05-25 22:03

    Rob, It seems you've got the idea of it. Operating over the sprocket just wears them out quicker. A worn sprocket will be pointed at the tip rather than a blunt tip. From the pins rubbing and putting pressure on the teeth from the machine being pulled in that direction it just puts more stress on the sprocket causing them to wear faster as if you dug over the idler the whole time. Best of luck!

  17. #17tootalltimmy2009-05-25 23:08

    For replacing the teeth, I think that removing one tooth and bringing it with you to the shop that sells them would be a good way to go. They should be able to match them up for you. At least it worked good for me. Here is a link for specs on 345B http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...tor&make=Caterpillar&model=345B&modelid=92906