Seller had a title, but is having to file for new because he can't find it. But I'm sure he will get it. $6,500 minus the bed and hoist, which I didn't want. Supposedly it's been converted to 12V. I have two choices for main box 9 or 10 speed, either one will work fine, but I also have a 8341G auxiliary which is a progressive, gears evenly spaced, great for on road. But will only use direct & overdrive with top direct gears of main box. Will repair interior, paint it, leave the 8V71 {has jakes}, manual steering. want to keep it close to original with one stack.
Trying to squint to see suspension….
Sweet Pete .Suspension might be updated rubber block walking beam. Had a 64 351A old Pie rig turned into a poor dump truck used til 83 was parked got it 04 but needed work & 18' frame make a hoe hauler but CARB plans died( ended up scrapped in 22.
40,000 lb Hendrickson {beam biscuit}. If by my plans, it will end as a logger. Same paint color/scheme, with a steel logger bumper. I have a vintage oem visor, want to keep it as original, plus looking as possible, very few polished items.
These in this condition unmolested are getting really hard to find, especially for this price. Also have a complete radiator with grille shroud available like this one below. *
Can license with a collectors plate and liability insure with mileage capped at 5000 a year for around $100 with State Farm. Just to get from show to show, which there are about six shows within a radius that will only cover about 1,800 miles total.
Contacted Lavin, he has the old Pete micro phish build sheets. Both boxes are overdrive giving it a total of .68 overdrive with both in top hole. Rear drives are Rockwell SSHD's 6.14 ratio. With the heavy duty aluminum frame. with 38,000 lb Hendrickson beam biscuit. Truck was part of Redwood Construction Loggers fleet, and one of a total lot buy of 20. California Oregon based.
I saw that same some years back, but what's interesting is those plus mine are spec'd with one 5" stack, unlike most powered with 8V71's. I will either change ring/pinions to 4.11 staying with the SSHD's or have double overdrive boxes. If I change to 4.11's I can use a RT direct 9 or 10 and have the overdrive in a .80 with the 8341G auxiliary and still have 67 mph top speed depending on tire size. * I would like to keep close to original. Repainted same.
That is a sweet project. I had the ratio charts and remember the 8341 when I was dreaming of an MDT tow rig.
Yeah the 8341's were for 335 and down horsepower single counter shaft. Next was the 1241's rated for 400 horsepower/torque range after that came the 1750's for high torque horsepower. Both 1241 & 1750 are twin counter shaft models, and can incorporate a PTO Power Tower--as was called.
Bought it.
I may have missed it but is the jimmy staying or is it getting a cummins
Keep the 8V71!
Staying, or changed out to 8V71TA or 8V92. But it will be kept as close to original as possible. Not many old long loggers showing up anymore to shows in oem condition. Everyone is chopping the crap out of them or chromed overboard. But I need to see just how good the engine is, I have some options of 8V71N's from fire engines in real nice condition.
HeavyEquipmentForums
Congratulations on the purchase. Going to have room in the shop where you used to work? Or going to have to find a different spot to work on it? Every time I contemplate a project, I remember that all my bays are full of what pays the bills. I would have to rent a different place for a project. Your area is certainly a advantage for rust free projects.
Here in PA a truck that age was rotted to a pile of iron oxide 25 years before I was born
Well this is my second to the last one. * Well funny thing about my retirement, I never really retired, still classified as a employee because I drive the tow truck. Still in the company UA pool, and shuttle tractors here and there. The owner and I figured out a agreement/notarized, he and I are partners in the Pete. He likes old trucks but wanted one that hadn't had every wrench in the nation screwing with it. I found this one watched it for a week, then contacted seller. He had {he said} 50 plus wanting from Maine, Florida to S. California, some serious but not serious enough. I told him have have cash get title straightened out consider it sold. This Pete was owned by Redwood Construction-Logging, that company bought nothing but Pete's, 264 of them through the years. And yes I still do stuff in the old shop, that was part of the deal when I left. The tow truck is totally my responsibility. I built and sold five 855 BC's in there after I left along with five gas engines. * Correct, That truck was spec'd with steel fenders too. These like this are really getting hard to find, and the middle aged man selling it was glad I was buying, he didn't want to see it turned into some low rider chromium pile. I waited and looked for the last five years till this one came along.
And the final price minus the bed, hoist came to $6.500. I didn't want the bed, there are so many grain beds/hoists around here, everywhere, no value.
Just bought the build sheet to that truck, complete about 50 pages, $25.00. And I have a 1972 Pete owners manual that I've had for years, complete foldout wiring diagram that will cover this truck also.
I get a lot more enjoyment seeing old anything that are restored/conserved to original condition than what somebody thinks looks good. I recently spent a weekend within a couple hundred yards of a pair of chromed/lowered/dozer blade bumpered/visored Pete 379s that just pull big RV trailers and never felt the urge to go look closer.
Same here, anymore a small amount of chrome goes along ways. Plus less to polish, give a bath and put away. This isn't going to be a exercise in perfect/perfection restoration, just a good example of yesteryear. A few items won't be exact like main transmission, simply because parts for 8500/8700 Spicer are slim but also expensive. Installing a Eaton plus a progressive auxiliary will make it slightly easier for someone else to drive but still have the traditional twin boxes. Interior will be oem stark, headliner/back of cab panels maybe door panels--in a simple nothing fancy stitch work, stock gauges and keep the Sangamo Tachograph/ Speedometer.
Just one time more, I'd like to come out of 4th OD, pull the main box over to my seat, wait 1 second then push the knob toward my knee. Then pull that other stick back to direct.........head for home.
I dont remember if you mentioned, is it in running condition?
Last time it was used/ran was two years ago, main gear box failed then parked in barn. Very little mileage in last years, before currant owner it sat in covered storage for 15 years.
She sure is going to clean up nice,heck pressure wash & wax I'll take her to prom. The shutters, painted bumper & 5" stack has a clean fleet/ready to work look not a chromed out pavement princess
The regearing issue--calculated with 4.89 final ratio from 6.14 original. Using 11.00-22.5 at 41.75 average diameter. Spicer 8341G progressive with .81 overdrive. Eaton RTO12510 with .78 overdrive. The combined overdrives=.63 overdrive @ 1900 rpm deliver a speed of 75.72. Eaton 16210C with .74 overdrive. Spicer 8341G with .81 overdrive. Combined overdrives=.60 @ 1900 rpm deliver a speed of 79.5. * If I were to go to next higher gear set 4.63 and higher, I would have to change carrier too, expensive. So 4.89's for final drive ratio with a 10 speed over drive and a auxiliary overdrive will be the choice. * The original with 6.14 finals and both boxes at .81 and .84 gave a top speed of roughly 56 at 1900/2000 rpm.
It won't be a droning dog driving it to the shows
Correct--the thing about using a overdrive nine or ten with 4.89's, it will have lots of low gears and plenty of high gears. Factory chassis weight is 14,330, rough guess with bunks & trailer racked on board 22,000.
Picked up a FRO-16210C--free, needs hi-lo synchronizer in back section, not a big deal.
After several months, a screen shot of Oregon DMV title renewal/lost title transfer was sent to me today. So another 15 days then I can head that way to tow it back. In the mean time friend Steve had older Pete frame show up to scrap, I bought the Air Leaf suspension with SQHP 3.90 ratio drives for $800 complete. Plus a very early 60's stainless visor and a few other items, like a complete high capacity radiator with aluminum grille shell. There are several 1241C auxiliary transmissions too. Plus I think I found a complete decent running 8V92 with a thirteen speed for reasonable price. The deal changed with my old employer--he wants to pay for all parts and I do the work except for painting, which is ok with me and if sold we split it.
I'm glad to see you keep your hand in, TS. You do us all a service with the logic you present.
Thankyou. This one will be kept as simple as possible, for the fact I'm 71 the end of September and truly don't move quite as good, still ok but sore easy. Plus the old employer being involved I need to keep it so he can drive it and a saleable item later. If I retain it as a logger the market in old original loggers is very slim, so install air-ride and shorten to 240"/245" WB. With some new aluminum 80 to 90 gallon twin fuel tanks, replace air & fuel lines, air valves, brake system, and might leave it manual steering. It already has 12 volt system, factory. Replace some interior panels, but keep it simple. Paint would be company colors, white with charcoal gray metallic fenders/roof cap and a stripe with vinal company logo. I really don't want turn it into a major ordeal, just what I'm planning is more than enough.
You've got 8 years on me but I know what you're saying about not moving as easily and aching. Just being on my feet for too long I'll ache. My back got messed up from the myeloma. About a week ago I slid myself under a friends dozer to take a couple belly pan bolts out. I barely fit and turned slightly on my side to try and shuffle backwards. I got major spasms in the sides of back. It felt like my back had knots on each side. Thankfully they subsided. I thought I might have to get him to pull me out. Was on a large soft mat but the gravel underneath was still jagged enough to feel through the mat. He found a jack and jacked the machine up about 8" so he could fit underneath. Then he removed the starter. I was glad I didn't have to go underneath again. Intense pain and I couldn't move.
Drove round trip coming back over Santiam Pass to Redmond, 675 miles today to look it over---nixed it. Cracks in cowl/bulkhead at corners near bottom of windshield channels on both sides. Too much money to repair a cab that old.
Darn it!
Most all of these are stressed out to the point of "toast". * But I had a nice drive over Santiam/Tombstone Pass. The traffic was way more than I expected, gas price hasn't effected much apparently.