Just learned to operate new machine nicely and discovered switch was in backhoe mode. Put it in Ex mode and now all thumbs and difficult to get anything done. Are there any advantages of one mode over the other? Should I just switch it back and be happy? Anyone prefer one over the other and why? Help!
Flip it back to backhoe controls and get back to work.... As far as the machine goes there are no mechanical advantages to one pattern or the other, they are a matter of preference. I prefer backhoe controls because that's what my mini ex was set on when I got it five years ago and that's what I learned to run. I can move a machine in the excavator pattern but I'm by no means efficient with it. John
Switched back and happy. Question is: why have the 2 modes anyway?
So the machine is more versatile and easy to run for a variety of operators.
And because the more common names for them is Cat or Deere controls, that also is the reason why there are 2 different patterns, Deere had theirs and Cat had theirs. I am sure it gets more complicated then that, thats the short of it
You really answered your own question as to why there is a switch. Machines used to be one way or the other and after years of running you can't just jump in and dig with the other configuration. A lot of guys that moved from loader backhoes to excavators like the Deere style, as it's similar. Guys that started in excavators usually like Cat controls, because it's what they are used to.
Still very happy with the backhoe mode and have over 200 hrs with it. Amazing what a tiny machine can do!!!!!!
glad I'm not the only one. I've got a 580l case back hoe with the controls in backhoe or deere mode which ever you perfer to call it. I've got 2 excavators with cat controls in them. I can run both patterns on them machines easily and very well. I rented a 580n with piolt controls instead of wobble stick. it was set to backhoe and I couldn't hit the ground. darn the luck on the 2nd day I called my dealer and asked to switch out machines, he informed me that there was a pattern switch. flipped the switch and once again was digging like a pro.
Wow!! Really old thread- but hey the two modes are for “Left and Right brain thinkers”. There’s never more than two perspectives to any problem….. the right way and the wrong way- the solution is multiple methods to achieve one way or the other.