Ok on to my next project one of my 366s starter is grinding this is in a 1987 gmc 7000 with Eaton 5 speed napa says they have a flywheel ring for this anyone familiar with the flywheel on the 366?
What is it you need to know about the flywheel?
How bad are the ring gear teeth messed up? Have you tried a new starter or starter gear?
Is the flywheel unique to my specific transmission or are all 366 flywheels the same. I really just want to have the parts on hand before I pull the tranny and I'm guessing the flywheel ring is pressed on?
The teeth on the flywheel have a few bad spots. I haven't tried a new starter but the teeth on it look great. .. This looks like an easy job with a good jack... how heavy is the flywheel? Think I can handle it by myself?
The flywheel itself is not to heavy. Many have a small lip on the end of the crank to partially set on. I normally make a chalk mark in the up direction before I take one off. The bolt holes normally are uneven and it has to have the right rotation to get all the bolts in. Marking it makes it easy. Freeze the flywheel and put the ring gear in the oven with your pizza and it should slip right on. Might want to look at the clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bushing while you have the tranny out. Roger
Thanks guys what size transmission jack?
I usually remove the old ring gear with a hammer and a brass punch while wearing eye protection and long sleeves and gloves on the chance a chip comes flying. Just work it of a little at a time going around the out side. Make note of which way back cut on teeth face before you have it off. Check to be sure ring gear does not slip in flywheel when cold, just to be sure it is the right one! As to heating ring gear to install I just did a quick check on Cat site and it says: NOTICE: Do not heat ring gear to more than 600° F (316° C) before installing on the flywheel. So going by that you might burn your pizza! I'd set oven for around 450 to 500 and give it about half an hour. Make sure before heating you know which way any back cut on teeth need to face. Don't panic if gear seems way loose when first put on, it will shrink down as it cools. I like to tap down on it after it cools to make sure it is seated against the step in the ring gear.
Skip the pizza, just run around it a few times with torch to warm it up , wearing gloves, set it on flywheel and spin it untill it tightens up,
Hey why waste the heat, conserve energy and do both at once! Guess I should have mentioned the gloves, but hoped no one was going to grab a ring gear that was heated to 450º with bare hands. At least they won't do it again!
Ok that's the kind of stuff I needed to know... Any other tips?
If you have a hand held grinder with a cutting wheel you can cut mostly through the old ring gear and it sharp rap will usually crack it making tapping off easy. Cut two spots and it will fall off. Lots of different ways depending on what you have available for tools.
I like to use a engine hoist or a forklift with a extension run throw the open passenger door way. When i was younger i would run a 4x4 across the doors window opening and use a comealong.
This truck has no doghouse so I don't think I can do that. .. unless the floorboards unbolt. Maybe I should cut it on my Camaro it took hours to change the fuel pump I cut a access hole in the rear n it takes 5 min now lol. how long should this take? All I see is bellhousing bolts, clutch linkage, speedo, pto shaft, drives haft and parking break linkage and shifter then hold my mouth right n slide it back I'm unsure about the shifter and how it comes loose?
The floorboard has a section over the trans that unbolts.
I dont remember forsure but i think the flywheel will come out with the bell houseing inplace. The shifter has a spring loaded cone at the base that you push down and turn. I dont know if this would work with out looking at one of ours but if you could put all thread in to trans bolt holes and a floor jack under the back elavated up on a plywood floor and just slide it back 10inch.It Takes about half a day if every thing gos good but a days job most of the time.