Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

.39:1 Ratio

Randy Krieg · 2009-05-23 01:31

Steepest slope I’ve ever finished, it’s for a Gabion Wall. We are getting into full swing on this project. The best part of all; I’m the Project Superintendent and I run the job from the cab of the 14H with radio and telephone. We have several cuts and fills going on, it’s very hilly terrain. Neat project, little bit of everything. Lots of cuts and fills, CMP work, Gabion walls, gravel screening, gravel crushing, utility relocates, and lots of grader work!!!!!!

Replies70
  1. #1RonG2009-05-23 06:33

    Breathtaking!I have a weakness for that kind of real estate.It must make it tough to concentrate on your work but you must be somewhat used to it by now.I never heard of a gabion wall but you obviously have it under control there,as usual on your projects.Thank you for sharing that great scenery with us.Ron G

  2. #2Squizzy246B2009-05-23 06:38

    Terriffic shots Randy:notworthy

  3. #3amunderdog2009-05-23 07:01

    Great pictures and story. Thank you for helping me learn something new today. (so i guess i am not dead yet?). gabion wall http://www.ieca.org/PhotoGallery/GabionIllustrations1.asp

  4. #4bear2009-05-23 14:12

    dang!

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-05-23 14:34

    Beautiful, ......both the scenery and the way you work that machine. :notworthy

  6. #6DPete2009-05-23 18:14

    Looks like you're doing a nice job there Randy, and the material looks good for such rugged country, I don't see any bone chattering rocks sticking up anywhere. Keep the pics of that beautifl country coming

  7. #7Dozerboy2009-05-23 18:39

    Cool job I hate gabion walls they don't work all that well IMO or at least where and what we used them for.

  8. #8I AM IRONMAN2009-05-24 17:07

    Beautiful Mountains! Fantastic pic's Randy! :notworthy What a place to work! I'm from the Mountains and love em. Happy Memorial Day Vets!:usa :notworthy

  9. #9G Model2009-05-25 08:27

    Wonderful Pictures Randy, I have never seen a cutting on a slope like that can you explain what the material is doing or where it ends up when it comes off the blade. Scott

  10. #10dirtpusher92009-05-25 09:05

    Randy, I've run the job from the cab of a 140 for 4 years, with a CB in one ear and a cell phone in the other. If you have a good experienced bunch of operators that you don't have to babysit, it will go fairly well. I would just get started doing something and get called away to go look at something or get a sub contractor lined out. I'm the type guy that set personal goals to achieve everyday, and it can really mess that up.lol Good luck to you though.

  11. #11Right Wing2009-05-25 22:31

    Wow, great photos; rough but exciting terrain

  12. #12TomCat795F2009-06-05 01:27

    Tfs!!

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2009-06-05 02:00

    Randy Looks like a real fun project. I like the gabion walle, even though they can be a pain to do. Nice looking back cut there. Thanks for sharing with us.

  14. #14JimBruce422009-06-05 10:33

    Great shots, technique, scenery Randy. I'm jealous :usa I like the photo you took from behind the grader wheel of the Cat trucks and 450, even if the 450 barely makes it in.:drinkup I have a question about the way you guys load. It appears that they are digging pulling away from the fill, and loading over the trucks cabs. Why not dig in the other direction? I don't care one way or the other and I'm sure that the situation may have warranted digging that way (letting the cut drain, the way the vein of rock lays, etc), I'm just curious, cause I have heard arguments against it:beatsme

  15. #15JTL2009-06-07 03:23

    Not to hi-jack the thread, but here's some pictures of a Gabion wall we built last summer.

  16. #16JTL2009-06-07 03:26

    By the way, awesome shots there Randy! Are you doin any hiring, would love to come up and help you out! Jason

  17. #17Randy Krieg2009-06-07 10:36

    Scott; to answer your Question Jason Good looking wall there. Our wall will be 18 feet high when finished, from the top of the gabions there will be a 2:1 slope up about another 18 ft to the property easement. Sorry no hiring right now. We have a lot of work, but we have lots of people too. I don’t get involved in the hiring; my boss takes care of all that. I do help with some of the interviews. If this Gas line gets going you had better pack your bags; there’ll be more work than this hall can handle. Scott I originally got on here this morning to answer your question. Sorry about the slow response, busy pulling levers and talking on the radio. The objective is to try and place the material just inside the right tandem tires. On most slopes I pull they’re at a higher ratio (2:1 or 1½:1) so the finished grade is flatter. With a flatter slope you create a v, which you keep the rear tandem in and cast the material just inside the tire. This slope is so steep I have to tip the board forward and force the material to come off the top left corner of the moldboard. If too much material gets under the right tandems it starts raising the right side of the machine, which pulls the moldboard right out of the cut, you keep having to reach further and further to cut the slope. This has been a tough slope to pull; some frozen ground, four different types of material, getting down into some bigger rocks now. Yesterday we got down into this really dark alluvial vane with lots of rocks. The finished slope is so steep we pinned the grade stakes to the slope, this also helps keep them out of my way when I pull down the next pass; the cutting edge can go right over the stake if I’m careful. On some of the shorter narrow sliver cuts I have to send the HEX too another cut while I finish the slope. On the wider or longer cuts I can finish the slope while they take another cut pass out on the opposite side. On the longer cuts we can work the same side simultaneously, while they’re digging at the north end I’m finishing the slope behind him at the south end, as they work their way south through the cut I jump around in front of them and finish the slope in the bottom. As soon as they reach the south end they walk the HEX back to the north end and start another pass while I go finish the slope at the south end. Lots of choreographing to keep the HEXs digging all the time and not allow them to get too far ahead of me to where I can’t reach the slope. Can’t stop those excavators! Hope this help. Randy

  18. #18Randy Krieg2009-06-07 10:41

    View from the office! to think some people have to sit at a desk...

  19. #19plowking7402009-06-07 13:00

    I dont think I have ever seen a grader do a wall that nice. excellent work. i learn something new every time you post. now, the important question, how good is it a drywall?

  20. #20JimBruce422009-06-07 14:02

    Truley impressive Randy, I can't believe how clean that slope looks for that steepness. I wouldn't mind a view from my office like yours either:usa. I notice the HEX is set up for GPS, when you get closer to grade will you be using it, or is this job not mapped out for it?

  21. #21AtlasRob2009-06-07 16:51

    I'm with you Jim in your thinking, I've heard tell earthmoving outfits here in the UK frown on over the cab loading. Myself the priority is for the loaded truck to pull out towards the fill. Done properly an exc will easily load an ADT the wrong way around over the side, without going over the cab, its more an expression than an act but I know what you mean. :drinkup

  22. #22stepp33602009-06-07 17:28

    Randy, Where in Alaska our you working? I can't figure it out from the picture. I follow your post, and it's just nice to know,if I've been where you working. If that gas line is built, I may rethink moving back to Alaska. John

  23. #23JimBruce422009-06-07 17:31

    I agree, priority always should be having the loaded truck facing the fill, and there is always a reason for the way people do things, we load over the cab like that from time to time if there is a lot of rock and it's easier for HEX to dig that direction. Some people seem to get fanatical about loading the other way. I was on a job once where the supers would literally have the loaded trucks turn 180 degrees just so they were loading cab to cab instead of over the cab. So I was curious, not criticizing, why Randy's crews doing it this way.:drinkup:notworthy

  24. #24Randy Krieg2009-06-07 21:30

    Jim; good question Jim I had meant to answer your question this morning, but got in a hurry trying to finally respond to Scott’s question, which was a week old. I agree with you and Rob, but admit we break some of the rules constantly. Number 1 we never turn trucks around loaded unless Congress passes some moronic law. Even if Congress did pass a law I believe Dirt Science law is way smarter than any Congressman I’ve ever met. That’s the Golden Rule from several years of running Scrapers. We use to joke and say never load a gun pointed at you then turn it around. With the cost of tires these days and the scuffing that these tandems do on Artic Trucks; it’s crazy to turn them loaded. Number 2; never swing more than ¼ turn from cut to truck bed. Number 3; excavator cab on the same side as the truck. Number 4; never have the bench height (bottom of tracks) higher than the top of the truck bed. This involves material repose and the distance the HEX is from the truck. Too high of bench, too much repose of slope and your reaching too far to the truck, gets dangerous when your cycling fast. Number 5; keep the stick close to 90 degrees when filling the bucket, this is where the crowd cylinder has the most power. This also involves bench height and material repose. Too high of bench and your having to reach too far to the bottom of your cut. You start losing crowd force right in the bottom of the cut where it’s the hardest digging. Do we break these rules? Heck yes we break them more often then I like sometimes. This is just like NASCAR; some times you gotta cheat to get it done. The one rule we have not broken on this project is number 1, we always aim the gun at the target before we load it. If you’re loading in a large pit its way easier to keep a consistent pattern, but when you’re pioneering new roads and changing alignment you throw that rule book away. We have sliver cuts on different sides of the right of way, some only 200 ft apart and on opposite sides of the road. When I’m done pulling the back slope I generally finish leveling the bench so when he gets there he can just climb up there and start loading. We definitely try to never swing a loaded bucket over the cab. From the angle the pictures are taken it might appear that way but we are either going over the side board or over the back. Regards, Randy

  25. #25JimBruce422009-06-07 22:05

    Science of dirt Randy, I agree with you on your philosophy of dirt moving, and especially like the analogy of loading a gun:thumbsup. I believe there is a reason for everything and while photos are worth a thousand words, they don't always hold all the answers, which is why the lord created questions I'm just glad it was a good one, hah. Once again you have the best background to work in. Thanks again for the photos and wealth of knowledge:notworthy

  26. #26JDOFMEMI2009-06-08 17:41

    Randy As always, a superb description of what you are doing, as well as the reasons why. Thanks for another great post. Nice slope there. Hard to get them looking that clean. I now have learned another grader trick to put to use.

  27. #27Randy Krieg2009-06-10 08:48

    John This is the road that use to go to the old Wishbone Coal Mine. It's about half way between Palmer and Sutton. Just off 58 mile Road from the Glenn Hwy. Good to see you on here. Jerry, Thanks Regards, Randy

  28. #28stepp33602009-06-10 14:46

    Thanks for the info. Randy, I didn't you guys had a job near your home in the valley. Guess it's nice not to be on the Slope, or at one of the airport jobs. Great pictures, I always make it a point to read your threads, and look at your pictures. I also noticed the new Cruz website. For anybody that needs to see what kind of fun Randy has should check out their website. http://www.cruzconstruct.com/ Please keep them coming, John

  29. #29AtlasRob2009-06-12 18:02

    Randy, thank you for a very very good description of some of the many rules that many of us have learned and broken. Rules that I must admit I recognise but would not have a clue as to how to describe them :notworthy. Jim, Thank you for a very good question, I didnt think for a second that you were being critical. :drinkup

  30. #30Finish Blademan2009-06-20 15:41

    Randy,those pictures of the mountains in the background are absolutely beautiful. I have always said before I die I want to hunt in Alaska just once.I envy you where you live and the possibilities an outdoorsman has there in fishing or hunting. What do you guys do for work when the winter comes in on you all?

  31. #31Turbo218352009-06-20 15:43

    I would imagine they head for the oil patch on the North Slope.

  32. #32Tigerotor77W2009-06-20 23:12

    Here's a question... would you be comfortable doing or be able to do this same project with an M-series grader?

  33. #33Finish Blademan2009-06-21 07:27

    M series..Uggggg,an abomination to a blademan.....

  34. #34grader092009-06-21 09:34

    Nice work ,awesome scenery ,wish i was there.

  35. #35Randy Krieg2009-09-13 13:08

    .39:1 Ratio update This is just an update for those that were interested. I finished the D1 on this project yesterday and since I started the .39:1Ratio thread in the Motor Grader section I figured I would updated it here. For those that missed the first thread . This was a fun project and I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to accomplish goals with the equipment we had on site. I’ll just let the pictures tell the story! :drinkup

  36. #36JimBruce422009-09-13 13:16

    Amazing photos as always Randy... that's a... different use of a 730, lol. :notworthy:drinkup I had the "pleasure" of putting together a few of those baskets a couple weeks ago and from teh sounds of it, will again tomorrow:Banghead Stupid rain Keep up teh good work Randy

  37. #37Randy Krieg2009-09-13 13:24

    .39:1 Ratio update, more pics. Just some more of the story.

  38. #38Steve Frazier2009-09-13 13:28

    Please post all future updates in this thread, thanks!

  39. #39AtlasRob2009-09-13 15:09

    :OMG somebody pinched his lowboy, :jerry Darn it Randy thats got to be the slickest use of "what you have available on site to get the job done" :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Great job. :beerchug

  40. #40JDOFMEMI2009-09-13 18:40

    Randy I always look forward to your posts to learn new innovative ways of getting the job done. Once again you have come through. A 730 elevator truck! I bet that got you some strange looks when you suggested it. Was there ever any stability problems? Thanks as always for the education.

  41. #41willie592009-09-13 18:54

    LoL...who say's we don't use "long reach excavators" in North America.

  42. #42JTL2009-09-13 22:07

    Awesome pics as usuall Randy! We moved a 312 in the back of a Payhauler from one end of the job to another (about 8 miles) The thought never crossed any of our minds to use it like that! If you dont mind, I would like to save them and print them out to show my bosses. Jason

  43. #43Panhandler Bob2009-09-14 08:43

    Randy, Very educational,enlighting,and entertaining. Dam fine work and dam nice sceneray. Thanks, Bob:drinkup:usa

  44. #44Deereman2009-09-16 13:45

    Randy nice work! Love that first picture of the 315 in the 730. That looks like something I would do.lol. Man I wish grading would pick back up here. I'm missing it more and more.

  45. #45heavylift2009-09-16 14:37

    Gabion walls.. Don't you mean WEED planters We had a dam job that when they got near the top , the blades where held on the slope with a dozer. The top 50' was really steep... they had a cable attach in the middle of the blade, the dozer would follow on the top of the dam.... to hold the blade... never did ask why..35+ years ago I guess I wasn't interested then.

  46. #46dozerdave2009-09-17 02:40

    Hi Randy, Fine pictures and a nice clean job, I am sure the owner and your company supervisors were pleased with the results. Wire baskets are also popular in South America due to the heavy rain fall.

  47. #47I AM IRONMAN2009-10-17 01:57

    The Gabion walls really turned out nice! I've been looking around and seeing quite a few along rivers and bridges in my area. I didn't even know what a Gabion wall was before I started reading your posts Randy! Thanks

  48. #48Randy Krieg2009-10-19 09:27

    Thanks Thank You for those compliments, but the crew deserves all the credit for that wall. Rain or shine they just kept working. Awesome group of guys:usa

  49. #49DPete2009-10-19 11:15

    Great pics, easy to see you guys take pride in your work, nice job

  50. #50MKTEF2009-10-20 14:42

    You're guys have done a very good job.:thumbsup Having those gabions so straight, is not something you do everyday. To much stone in one cell, and it aint straight anymore. And as you know, a lot of manhours with those... I prefer Hesco, they are more stable to fill. And much stronger. I bet you have copied my idea, with the exc in the ADT! 850Km in the Moxy..

  51. #51alaskaforby42012-09-26 01:11

    Old thread, but still awesome!

  52. #52IKnow2012-10-12 01:10

    Gabion walls have nothing in common with a motor grader.

  53. #53qball2012-10-12 12:51

    Wow, that is your first post on this forum? Randy literally wrote the book on graders and felt the need to add pics from the whole duration of this job, not just that done with a grader. You will last a lot longer on this forum is you keep snotty comments like that drivel to yourself Excellent thread as usual, randy

  54. #54buckshot_862012-10-13 00:34

    Wow, I'm speechless! I've been on this forum for a while and following other's posts, and enjoy reading the posts from the tons of experienced operators on here. Randy sir, you are up there! The last couple of months I was promoted to the grader from the scraper, and I have been having a blast! It is mainly road building, with some reclamation. I am currently running a 14m, but I have considered my self fortunate to also have operated a 14h. I noticed some differences immediately, the feel of the hydraulics being the main one. Also, the H definitely had more grunt when some serious cutting was involved. But, the M is a nice machine. Great work on the finishing for the Gabion wall, I've only had to deal with finishing 3:1 slopes so far, I can at least ride those with the grader! I only drop the pin and throw out the circle when changing the cutting edges! Lol. There is still a ton that I can learn, especially when I log on and see your threads. Thanks for posting, and I will keep tuned in!

  55. #55Randy Krieg2012-10-16 15:51

    "IKnow" IMO; I don't think you do know! What could a motor grader possibly have in common with a rock? How could a motor grader possibly have anything in common with an oil rig? or a section of concrete curb? let alone the sidewalk behind the curb! and if that's not enough, how could a motor grader ever have anything in common with a Chevy S10? IMO; it's all relative when you view things with an open mind and some creativity. I want to thank alaskaforby4 for bringing this fun thread back to life. It was a great exchange of ideas from all over the globe. Thanks qball and buckshot_86 for responding in kind. :notworthy Best Regards, Randy Krieg

  56. #56bigshow2012-10-16 20:09

    Mr. Krieg, your work always impresses me but the sidewalk grading attachment is quite slick. I noticed the cushion on the g.e.t. where it engages the curb, it's a nice touch. My curiousity is too much and I must ask how/what it is made from?

  57. #57Randy Krieg2012-10-17 12:37

    Sidewalk Grader Bigshow Thanks for noticing that attention to detail; that curb saver is made from a conveyor belt scraper which I just cut to length and punched a couple holes in it. I kept a few spares in the toolbox as they couldn’t take much abuse. That particular project had lots of driveways and drops in the top back of curb and since I had the sonic tracker set ahead of the cutting edge, I installed the curb saver (rubber belt) in case my old brain turned the “Grade Control Switch” off just a second too late. I think you understand that logic from the question you asked. I originally drew the picture of the sidewalk grader on my computer and we took the drawings to a metal fabrication company that had a computer controlled plasma cutter. They just enter the drawing in their computer and it cut all the plates out perfectly; elongated holes and all. After the plates were cutout on the plasma cutter I gave them a moldboard GET end section as a template to form/roll the plates so that they would fit the radius of moldboard. On that project we had two different widths of sidewalk so we built the sidewalk tool at 5’ with a 4’ extension and used them according to which street we were working on. The operational procedure was to run the slope control on the left side of the moldboard and grade control on the right side (the side tracing the top back of curb with the sonic). I also had the left side plate cut with a gauge sticking up behind the moldboard (orange tap sticking up) since you can’t see the left side plate or it’s proximity to the curb from the operators seat. The gauge helps me keep the box right tight against the back of the curb without damaging the concrete. The concrete company pouring the sidewalks loved it because their yield on that job was within 1% of the bid. In some areas or projects where the street is already paved I have to remove the left cutting edge from the moldboard, since the crown of the road was +2% and moldboard was running at -1% (slope of the sidewalk). The other key to success is having a good operator on a rubber tired backhoe or small wheel loader feeding you material. They just keep watching you from in front and adding small piles ahead of the grader. If it's done right there is virtually no labor work other than to check the grade and slope with a "SmartLevel". It usaully takes at least 2 trips around to get it really good since it compacts down after the first pass, so we just go around again adding just a little gravel or sand. Hope this helps. Regards, Randy

  58. #58LDK2012-10-17 13:27

    Randy, I want to thank you for your posts, I love reading them. They are a mine of information and you have a great way of putting your point over.

  59. #59bigshow2012-10-17 17:54

    I thank you for the very in-depth response and explanation, I am a huge fan of outside the box thinking, and that is definitely outside. I originally thought it was a 3 point hitch box blade that had some work done to it, (as we have fabbed them up to hook to small excavators for certain applications). I was impressed that it was actually custom built for this particular application. Thanks again for the response.

  60. #60Big Iron2012-10-18 20:46

    How could a motor grader possibly have anything in common with an oil rig? View attachment 95811 imagine that a motor grader with an oil rig. thought you might like to see one of the first examples of that on the slope, Rowen 41 if i remember correctly the first one on wheels on the slope no power just wheels. this rig also was the first to get moved with the derrick in the air, i had the dubious honor of the pull truck that time. not quite at sophisticated as the Doyon rig you are hooked up to but just as fun all same (sometimes far more exciting that anything has a right to be). by the way for those of you that haven,t figured it out yet the 16G is the steering wheel for this whole mess. by the way Randy that sidewalk grading box is about the slickest thing i have seen yet on a motor grader:notworthy:notworthy. i can think of a number of days in my youth i would have killed for that attachment while on the wrong end of a shovel/rake prepping for a sidewalk!!!!!!!

  61. #61Randy Krieg2012-10-19 14:19

    BigIron Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing those. My Dad always told me the only limiting factor on what a grader could do was the mass between your ears. Best Regards, Randy

  62. #62JDOFMEMI2012-10-21 01:52

    Randy Once again, you have given a great explanation of how and why you do the work you do. I learn something from every post of yours. I have used welded on cutting edges for templates to cut grade, but never as slick of a piece as the sidewalk grader you had built. It looks like a great tool. Thanks for the input. Too bad it seems the troll went away, he might have learned something if he opened his eyes and ears, and put his mouth in neutral.

  63. #63Jim M2012-10-22 12:30

    Excellent pictures Big Iron and Randy. That moldboard extension looks a very handy piece of equipment, and a inexpensive piece of rubber to stop you from rubbing the top of the curb was genius. Please keep the pic's coming as i'm learning new things every time i log on to the forum . Regards Jim

  64. #64Cat is ALL2013-05-31 22:12

    What was your process for clearing and grubbing? Did you mulch it all down, or clear it and haul it out or some alternative method? Seems like it would have been a lot to clear/grub.

  65. #65Randy Krieg2013-06-04 13:07

    Mulching The project was cleared using mulching machines. One on a D6N…. The other was on a modified D5G frame… The material produced works great for topsoiling slopes, stays on the slopes better than straight topsoil during rain. We hauled the clearing and grubbing material to two different slope flattening areas. After the structural prism of the road was built with a 2:1 slope, the grubbing was then placed back up against the road slope, compacted, graded and hydro seeded. This guy looks to be having fun! Regards, Randy

  66. #66roddyo2015-01-04 16:45

    I wanted to bring a great thread back to life. When you come back around can you explain your choice in tires. Around here everyone runs the bar tread. Can you explain the different choices in tires for different conditions.

  67. #67Graderfan19812015-01-05 15:58

    Wow, interesting pictures of special grader work, thanks for sharing!

  68. #68rmllarue912015-01-05 22:28

    Does anyone have any info on the mulching heads on the d5g and D6n. Are they a kit someone sells or semi custom set Up. around here t275 raycos are the normal. they would be more comparable to a steam shovel than the d6 or d5 as for operator comfort. Thanks

  69. #69Radrock2015-01-06 10:03

    Yup this thread has been reborn a couple of times. It is a great one though. I would like to hear Randy's thoughts on tires as well. I have mixed feelings between bias/radial tires but then again it depends on what you are doing. My biggest complaint in my career has been a lack of matching good quality tires.

  70. #70hvy 1ton2015-01-07 01:44

    I think the D5 is a Supertrak ( http://www.supertrak.com/ ) SK200TR doesn't look like they make dozer based models anymore.