Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4-53 detroit rattles on deceleration

crbearden ยท 2019-06-08 18:04

I have a 4-53 detroit powering an Ingersoll Vane type compressor. When the pump is up to pressure and the engine decelerates a loud clicking noise is apparrent. Sometimes this noise continues at idle, and then is intermittent. The noise is not heard when the engine is loaded however. I am trying to determine if this is in the lower end or a piston problem.

Replies7
  1. #1td25c2019-06-08 23:12

    Oil pressure on engine all cool between idle and full throttle ?

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-06-09 09:27

    I would be curious if you have a splined coupler or a Lovejoy.

  3. #3kshansen2019-06-09 09:39

    I was thinking along the same line, that the noise when compressor is unloaded might be looseness in the compressor or the coupling. Can you slightly open a valve to put a slight load on compressor but keep engine speed low to see if that makes noise go away? Or maybe take a video of it running and upload to YouTube then post a link here so we can hear it?

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-06-09 10:10

    Is this machine new to you? Are you new to driptroit? They have a tendency to have a "ring" from the accessory drives when at idle. Next question, how is your alternator driven? Belt or coupler? A video would be best as Kshansen suggested.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-06-09 10:27

    I'm w/ FWF.. check coupler between the pump & engine.. most likely place for a rattle..

  6. #6OFF2019-06-13 14:20

    I agree, got to be the coupler between the engine and compressor.

  7. #7Vetech632019-06-13 15:59

    Coupler x10