Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4-71

cb1 ยท 2010-10-17 00:26

What vintage tractor would make a good candidate for a screamin 4-71 Detroit. 98 horspower. Any suggestions or pictures.. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1mitch5042010-10-17 04:18

    1958 Farmall 340 Utility (frozen moter)?

  2. #2td25c2010-10-17 13:41

    Oliver offerd 4-53 detroits in some models from the factory. Kinze manufacturing often re-powerd JD 5020's with the 8-v 71 in the late 1960's.Sounds like an interesting project cb1. Kinze also built a four wheel drive tractor with twinn 8-V71's to test out a plow they were manufacturing.Called the tractor "Big Blue" I thought it was kinda cool. www.toytractorshow.com/kinze.htm

  3. #3cb12010-10-17 23:47

    mitch504, I just picked it up. The motor is stuck. I tried to free it, but I then found out the clutch is junk also. The tractor is complete and in pretty good shape. It had a loader, however, I bought just the tractor and a buddy of mine bought the tractor for the loader and sold me the tractor. I plan to rebuild the motor and replace the clutch, etc. I want to put a mower on it and use if for that. Thats the long term plan anyway.

  4. #4brett7772010-11-27 21:58

    hi i have a 1985 4-71 in a belt link it sat for 2 years and ran perfect when parked. had a wreck . went to start it yesterday. dront 2 cyln fired but would not start. changed filters, checked fuel presure and cleand injectors best i could. sot ether in breather but would not start. would you have any ideas i'm missing or know anyonee who may know somthing thank you brett 252 202 4057

  5. #5Bison2010-11-28 01:17

    Mebby you got mice nests in the in the exaust ports or on the pistons. Thats what i had with a AC HD10 4-71 once,it wouldn't start after several years sitting,so i pull started it.it fired up but blew to pieces shortly after,upon taking the head off i found mice nests in there Beats me how they got in there:beatsme Mebby the airdam on the blower is closed

  6. #6brett7772010-11-28 12:24

    check on the mices i don't know how to check that but i will look in injectors with scope. thank you brett

  7. #7willie592010-11-28 12:36

    How did you determine front two were firing and other two weren't? Like Bison said, did you check that the emergency flap isn't tripped at the intake side of blower? Is there any chance that water went down the exhaust while sitting for two years? I've seen bent connecting rods on Detroits that got water in exhaust from sitting over time then someone cranks the engine, any water sitting on top of a piston will bend connecting rod and it will affect that cylinder building required compression.