Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4045H engine problems

Grantlandservices · 2023-08-06 11:41

Hi all, first post here. I did some quick looking around and tried the search feature as well but if this is in the wrong spot, please direct me to the correct "room". I have a JD 550K #EE259739. Yesterday she died on me while I was clearing a fence line. It had been running fine all day. I was backing up and just sputtered to a stop. I checked electrical system and have found no issues. Motor turns over well just will not fire. Low pressure pump is running. Common rail pressure hits 5k while turning over. Oil Pressure hit normal also when turning over. Can someone please help me out with this thing???

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-08-06 17:26

    If the fuel shut off solenoid is working properly it sounds like a fuel line is plugged. Does it have any smoke when cranking?

  2. #2Birken Vogt2023-08-07 09:34

    Dave, this is a common rail system. In the absence of a Deere guy answering this, what is the fuel pressure supposed to be when cranking on one of these? Is it generating any codes when cranking?

  3. #3Grantlandservices2023-08-07 09:55

    No codes generated; I am showing 4500-5500 PSI on turnover. It typically idles at around 6500. Im showing 5psi Low pressure which is typical. I wish this thing would throw me some kind of code so i knew where to look.

  4. #4mg23612023-08-07 12:09

    Do you now have fuel in your engine oil?

  5. #5Grantlandservices2023-08-07 12:16

    I do not, also no abnormalities in crankcase while turning over. Listening/feeling oil filler while turning over engine. Friend of mine suggested cam and crank position sensors, they’re inexpensive so I’m headed now to pick up a couple and try that.

  6. #6mg23612023-08-07 12:17

    They would throw a code. Did you go into the monitor and scroll to codes?

  7. #7Grantlandservices2023-08-07 12:30

    Yes, no active and all stored I was aware of. Air filter restriction, low coolant etc. It had a leaking in the reservoir but I replaced that last week. I agree and previously thought that if the issue was sensor related it should have a code in the system. A friend from Sylte Farms said he’s seen a mechanical failure of the sensor cause an absence of code. When looking through the engine manual all codes the related codes seems to be circuit and voltage related. I’m hoping it is this simple because my next step is pulling the DPF and looking at injector harness.

  8. #8Grantlandservices2023-08-07 12:34

    3264 hours on machine if that helps anyone or if there’s any common issues along this stretch of use

  9. #9mg23612023-08-08 04:44

    Do you have the CTM114619 Engine Manual? There is a diagnostic procedure in that manual for crank, no start, that is used when there are no codes.

  10. #10Grantlandservices2023-08-08 09:47

    I finally found that in the manual yesterday! It restored a little confidence in myself mechanically because I had somewhat followed the procedure before seeing it hehe. Due to everything else in the lineup requiring a Service Advisor I have given up and called in the local Yellow House. They should be able to come see me this evening or in the morning. I report back with what they find.