Trying to replace the hydro filter on my 410, and it just won't break. Anybody have any pieces of advice to get that filter housing to screw off the body?
If it is a spin on filter like mine is, hammer a large screwdriver or prybar through the side of the housing and use it as leverage to spin the filter off. Works every time. You might want to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter first and drain it to keep things cleaner. good luck
no its a spin off filter bowl with a filter canister inside. if it were a typical spin on filter, I would have done exactly what you described, but the filter bowl is aluminum, and I'm sure the threads are oxidized to hell. at the same time, I'm trying to be careful not to break the bowl as its an obsolete part w/ JD
I think I have the same canister (just ordered some new cartridges from filterspro.com for $25). I don't remember having a problem getting mine loose the first time, and definitely not since then. First assuming you have a big enough breaker bar and socket and you don't want to risk putting more torque on it, you could try tapping, very lightly, all the way around the canister and the housing it screws into, if that doesn't work try using a propane torch on the housing (cast iron) and try to loosen it hot-no more than 200 degrees, or heat the canister and let it cool before you try it. Or get out the dry ice, freon, liquid propane etc and cool the canister down a little to shrink it. That's all for the canister having male threads and the housing being female threads, but now I'm starting to doubt my memory.
As I find myself doing with more frequency. But as I've been pondering the dilemma of nicetoy, I have been trying to figure out how to express the proper words and methods. Thankfully, you did it for me, even though we both doubt our memory.
I have the same problem on my case 580c I am afraid I might snap the filter head right off. I see it has been a few years how did make out any advice for me.
Can you get one of these around it? http://http://www.amazon.com/BOA-BO13010-Constrictor-Aluminum-Wrench/dp/B0011E4QU4 And like Delmer said, use a little heat. But I would drench it with some PB Blaster and apply some force with that wrench and lightly tap around the threaded area with a hammer.
Tried to remove it hot or cold still seized on 580c. I think I can fit an impact on it may give that a try. What about converting it to a spin on filter head?