I have been a heavy equip.mechanic for 25 years,the company i work for has a 416C that is low on power,I did all the obvious,adjust valves,fuel and air filters,checked for fuel starvation,air resrtiction,nothing helped,so the boss called out the cat dealer and he said the turbo was shot(i wasnt there to talk to him)so i installed the turbo,no difference,cat took it in there shop and claimed injection pump was bad so they changed it,still no better.I think its a torque converter prob.cat says they checked pressures on it and it is ok.the service manual says you check it with a stall test and a tachometer,any thoughts anyone?(by the way its back at the dealer now)
cat 416 power loss i work on a lot of cat stuff but not the backhoes. i looked and did notice that the speed and directional clutches were solenoid operated ask them if possiable that lets say the reverse solinoid was bypassing oil to the reverse pack while the foward clutch pack was applyed. this could cause a constant drag. or has anyone checked the brakes.
Transmission is manual shift w/torque conv powershift has solenoids.Its low on power when you go into a pile
I work for a Case dealer (gasp)!! The torque converters in the 580 later than the b series have an internal sprag clutch that on rare occasions will fail, when that happens the stall speed will go into the tank, it will go down to 11-1200 rpm and the unit will hardly move out of its own way. The proper way to test would be like Case does it, check TC stall then Hyd stall , then combined stall. You will have to get those figures from your dealer or a service manual, they will pinpoint if the problem is low engine power or a malfunction in the drive, a normal stall figure for the hydraulics and a low stall speed in the reverser indicates TC problems.If all are down it indicates engine power problems. At our dealership I do a complete flometer test on EVERY new machine sold and included in this is the stall tests so we have a baseline for future reference. 5 years down the road if a hydraulic malfunction occours all I have to do is retest with a flow meter and the problem sticks out like a sore thumb. At whatever Cat charges for their shop i'm surprised they are letting this stump them. I just did over reversers in two 310 series JD,s if the Cat people cant figure it out maybe your local Case dealer might be able to help.
I know this is an OLD thread but bobin35 did you have the converter replaced to fix this problem. I have a Cat hoe that is killing me and think it needs a converter. Thanks