Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

444 cummins engine specs

Tyler1022 · 2013-10-13 00:16

wanted to know the specs on the 444 and 444xt. what years where they made. just curious about the specs not who hated what about them.

Replies3
  1. #1CRAFT2013-10-13 01:42

    If my memory serves me correct they started making them in and around very early '86, maybe even late '85 ….where the Big cam engines were still available only as an "as available" only item, I own an '86 Wstar that has a Big-Cam-3 475hp twin turbo in it, the guy I bought it from (in '88) had told me he was lucky that when he factory ordered the '86 in the fall of '85 that the new 444 was on iffy ground as a new production engine, he didn't want to take a chance and got the 475 instead ….. they were produced up until the first Red Headed N14 460 hp electronic and 430's semi electronic engines came into full swing in the early '90s ….. Hope this will give you a more heads up time line ….. If you googled these triple 4's you'll prob get a more accurate DOM on them ….. the 444 was still was an 855 cu.in block, one major diff over the 475 was the MVT variable timing (other than the twin turbo's vs the big single on the 444) ….. the Big-cam 475 was an air over mechanical where as the 444 was hyd engine oil pressure over mechanical system ….. I didn't get too involved in the science of the 444, drove them but wasn't impressed, but as you stated we don't need to get any pissing match's going over the likes and dislikes …. cheers

  2. #2Tyler10222013-10-13 19:34

    Thank you craft

  3. #3RocketScott2014-07-11 23:02

    This was the only search result I could find on the 444XT. So I thought I should bring it back up in stead of starting a new thread. Not much info out there now. My Pete has one and from what I understand the 444 had a low flow cooling system that had problems so they converted to a higher flow. Not sure how to tell if that has been done or what the difference between the 444 and 444XT are. My truck has all sorts of problems but for right now I'm trying to get all the gauges working and changing filters and fluids. Just thought this might be a good place to start. Haven't been to 100 mile house in a while, nice place.