Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450 vs 650

Midwayretriever ยท 2015-12-30 07:38

Currently have a 96 450 g . The machine runs well I Have no complaints about it . Right now were cleaning up 80 acres to turn into pasture . All the big trees and creeks are arebeing taken out w the hoe, use the dozer to push to piles, and clean the underbrush. even though the dozer runs well, it just seems real small for job at hand. thinking about trading up for larger one . 550/650 Question is, will I see noticeable power/production difference for the money spent? after cleanup done, weve got about 30 acres worth of pond to build. Also, since theoretical new machine would be larger, would LGP model be better or worse for task? not being used in mud, ground usually reasonably dry when working . New one would also mostlikely be joystick ather than pedal steer. Pros?cons of that too please.

Replies7
  1. #1Don k2015-12-30 09:17

    450G has 70 HP. 650G has 90 HP. 450 has 16 in. grousers. 650 has 18 in.450 weighs 15,932. 650 weighs 18,510.

  2. #2southernman132015-12-30 09:51

    Those figures are evident. I like to know as well is there a noticeable difference in the two machines as far as Power and capability. I have amD31P-20 75ish hp and a D41p-6 110ish hp. There's a huge difference between them two. Not even comparable. They both are LGP units

  3. #3Twisted2015-12-30 10:45

    Yes the 650 will be more productive. Looking at the jobs you're looking to do, I'd keep the 450 and buy an old Cat D6C or larger for the heavy work. Sell it after the projects are done. I'm not saying that a 650 won't do the job but if your having trouble with a 450, the 650 won't solve the issue. Heck I use a 185hp 45,000# machine for my finish work and sometimes wish it was bigger. LGP????? Only if you NEED it. Lower ground pressure means less traction in dry or hard conditions, a wider blade which takes more power and traction to push. They are generally harder on undercarriage parts as well. I run LGP because I need it. I wish I had a standard track for hard, dry conditions.

  4. #4Midwayretriever2015-12-30 19:04

    Ok thank you for all info. For sale of argument, if the 450 could clear 2acres of underbrush in a day, could the 650 do 30%more? Less. Just trying to get idea of increase of output. Thanks for all info

  5. #5Midwayretriever2015-12-30 19:06

    To be clear this isn't a paying job. It's my property. But it's big enough to justify owning the equipment instead of hiring done. Just trying to decide if bigger machine worth the money, vs getting done quicker

  6. #6pafarmer2015-12-30 19:21

    The 450 will do everything the 650 will do just not as fast or as easy. To spent the extra cash on a 650 when you have a good 450 already would be a waste in my inion. It's your land and speed isn't an issue. The bigger machine allows you to get in , and then get out much faster to move to the next paying job. At the end of the day I wouldn't see the 650 a real need, just more of a want....not required in other words...

  7. #7RonG2015-12-31 04:39

    I would buy a used D6 and sell it when you are done.If you can find a nice D6D you might keep it anyway.That 450 is a great dozer but you will not be gaining much in your move to a 650 IMHO.They are both great machines but you might be wondering which one you are running sometimes.The advise you got earlier on the D6 is right on the mark.Ron G