Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450b gear reduction starter

Dgreen4298 · 2021-01-31 11:32

I’m looking to get a new gear reduction starter for my jd 450b dozer but I’m not sure if it will fit and I don’t want to install it until spring so I won’t be able to return it if it don’t fit. I currently have a straight drive starter on but after 10-20 seconds it starts spinning slow, new batteries and cables. Took the starter apart and it was full or dirt and gunk so I cleaned it up and put it back on but it’s still slow so I was looking for a gear reduction that will spin the engine faster and easier. Problem is the ones I am seeing are longer that what I have and my machine has two pipes running down the side of the engine that might be in the way. Does anyone have knowledge of one that will fit without changing the fuel pump and re routing the pipes?

Replies5
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-02-01 19:58

    Is that the 188 or the 207 engine?

  2. #2Dgreen42982021-02-01 20:25

    I do not know but here is a pic of what it says on the engine tag, I could not get the camera in there to get the tag

  3. #3mg23612021-02-02 05:11

    A 4219 Deere. It is a Deere dozer. Dgreen, try one of these two, the Delco sight I have is listed by the original Delco number on your starter.. https://www.densoheavyduty.com/find-my-part/application http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/product-details/1998367

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-02-02 13:56

    There is an outside (small) chance it has the wrong starter on it now. Some have more windings on the field coils than others. Too many times they get replaced with a starter that fits in the mount whether or not it meets the mfr's spec.

  5. #556wrench2021-02-02 20:41

    ya. one example that comes to mind are the delco starters for GM gas engines from the 60's to the 90's. you could use a big-block starter on a small-block but if you used a small-block starter on a big block it had problems especially when hot. they were easy to tell apart just by where the terminal was for the field coils. also a lot of rebuild shops list an alternate part number that theoretically will work but not as well as the original. that being said, i remember back in the late 60's the cummins 470( smaller earlier version of a 555) in dad's tractor would never start when hot. we found out later that there was a change-up to a heavier starter and that cured it