I've got a 1995 455G and lost 2nd gear a while back. Spoke to a guy who says I probably need to replace that gear clutch pads in the transmission. I have the book but it doesn't go too deep with regards to the interior details. I understand how to remove the weighs, drain the tank and access the transmission but wondered if I should tackle this work. Of course I'd want to replace all the gear clutch pads while it's apart and would visually check to see if anything else should be replaced. Option 2 would be to take it out and take it to a shop to have them change them....if they do that. Any general thoughts before I start? Thanks, Tom
Find out from the dealer or get a manual that explains what all has to be done and then decide if it's something you think you can tackle. I got the procedure copied from the repair shop to pull the engine and trans. out of my 931B but took it them to have the engine rebuilt as I'm not a mechanic. The engine had to come out again twice but they looked after warranty on the engine. I pulled it the first time but got a deal to truck it to them the second time and they pulled and replaced it. Some jobs are best left to those experienced with them.
I called the service department and since I have lost only 2nd gear the diagnosis is a seal blown. The seal is in the transmission housing and am considering them doing it. My manual is limited but still there is lots of stuff in there and will try almost anything but I have too much to lose if I get it back together and it isn't fixed. I bought it to move dirt...not work on. I have my 410 backhoe apart again and figure that will fulfill the mechanic in me for this year.