Hello all. I need some help with my loader and figured the dozer forum gets more traffic these days. Its a 4045T direct drive machine and the pump has a rebuilt tag on it though I don't know how recent it was. Ive owned it for 6 years and this is the first trouble Ive had. I don't get any smoke during hot restart...it just spins over but wont run. Im told theres a stop pin that might be gunked up and a coil that could be shot. Ive disconnected the lead from the key and I do get 12v right there at the pump connection with key on. Now Im a complete newb here so if I take whatever cover is there off are all the parts accessible? This wont ruin any timing correct?
I should add that if you try and restart it right away it doesn't work. Or if you let it sit a week sometimes it still doesn't work...and then all of sudden one day it just decides "ok Im ready now" and it starts right up. Any guess as to which item you would attack first?
You get 12V to the pump, but you want to know if you get a click when you connect that wire to the terminal on the pump. And if you don't get a click, then test what the Ohms to ground is for the terminal on the pump with the wire disconnected, or put a test light between the wire and terminal and see if it glows. Do this cold and then again hot.
Ok Ill try that tonight and see what I get. Im not sure if my power probe does ohms, if not ill be upgrading. And if I get a good reading tonight while cold I should just compare that to the reading I get next time it wont restart? And that will point to the coil being the problem I guess? The clicking sound would be the stop pin moving?
Yes, compare the reading cold and hot not starting. And cold not starting if it does that. That's the coil continuity test, to see if there's a loose connection. If you don't get a click, then do the ohm test. If you do get a click but it doesn't start, I'm not sure, the solenoid might click but not move the other part? Take the cover off at that point, you won't mess up the timing, but pay attention to any springs to get them in the same holes, linkages in the same place etc. Sorry, not familiar with the guts of that pump.
I think you need a new shut off solenoid. They are under the top cover of the injection pump and rather easy to replace. Just look up or machine on deere's online parts catalog, should be a part number re37089