Hi All, I replaced the master cylinders. Those are good but leaking down below. I think it’s the slave cylinders. I have the service manual but it give no direction on how to get at them. I hear getting the floor out is a bitch. Lying on your back getting dirt, fluid and rust in your face isn’t much fun either. I would just like to replace the slave cylinders. Any advice? Thanks
Can always cut an access hole in floor and weld or bolt some tabs on to hold it back in place when done.
Good suggestion. Thanks
done it many times from underneath, no holes or floor removal
I’d like to try that. Any tips? Remove the brake line, remove spring, remove axle housing bolt for the spring, remove housing bolts, take housing off. Missing anything? Thanks!
Update, I went from under and got it off. I did break the brake hose in the process :-(
This is what my 580c has.
I think that makes a lot of sense. Right now I think I dodged a bullet by getting the left side off from under the machine. When I’m forced to remove the floor for a future repair your mod will be the way to go thanks for the pic.
This was done by the previous owner and mine needs all new slave cylinders so this should come in handy for doing them. You’re welcome for the picture.
I have done it both ways. I thought it was faster from underneath, so I did it that way almost always. Now that I'm in the "golden years" I would probably pull the floorplate. Penetrating oil is your friend on those floorplate bolts sticking through those fender nuts.
I’m in my golden years too but my mind thinks otherwise. Between doing the master cylinders and left slave cylinder I’m sore all over. while I was under there I see the right side is leaking too. That’s for another time. If not too bad I may just keep filling it for the summer.
The brakes on those were not the best to begin with, but it is what it is. Be sure that park brake is releasing all the way.
I pulled the floor. It was a pain. But I am glad I did, I ran it without the floor for about a year, messing with various things in there. When I finally was finished with it, I took the floor plate and took a torch and cut it in half all the way across. Right in front of the seat mount, so I would not have to take the seat out. This made it much lighter and easier to remove, and still have enough room to work from above. You still have to hassle with the throttle pedal, but it's doable. I made thick straps of metal to splice it back together with bolts where I cut it.