Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

490e wiring

backhoejoe ยท 2013-08-18 10:28

Hello, I just purchased a 490e with various electrical issues. Part of the harness is missing at the hydraulic pump. At this time it only runs at idle the stepping motor needs attention and it won't steer. It seems to be ok otherwise hydraulically. I haven't gotten it home yet and am looking for wiring diagrams, advice etc. I plan to use it 10 to 20 hrs a month to load shale so we're not looking to build a piano. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Joey

Replies20
  1. #1backhoejoe2014-01-16 17:47

    I've sorted out most of the wiring on my machine, what a disaster, I replaced the ec and pump controller the throttle is working properly now it keeps blowing the f8 fuse I have unplugged one at a time the things that I've rewired and replaced nothing seems to help any suggestions?

  2. #2backhoejoe2014-01-25 08:14

    I have replaced the machine wiring harness and found a lot more mess in the process I think my dead short was in the swing cushion solenoid. My angle sensor, pressure solenoids etc had their plugs cut off at some point and I would like to try the machine now without butchering my new harness does anyone know where I could find these terminals or a temporary way to hook them up to test the machine

  3. #3John C.2014-01-25 11:54

    I've never worked on this model of machine so can't tell you much except that you need a wiring diagram. The other thing I would recommend if finding another machine that you can take photos of that might show you where those sensors are at. Good Luck!

  4. #4backhoejoe2014-01-25 13:48

    I'm sorry I know where they go it's just that the sensors had the plugs removed from them and now I want to attach them to the new harness properly and can't seem to find these plugs I'd like to try the machine without replacing them all I need the plugs for the solenoids , angle sensor and engine speed sensor and have had no luck finding any or a temporary fix without damaging my Harness Thanks for the reply Joe

  5. #5Delmer2014-01-25 14:49

    What kind of connector are they? You can use spade connectors individually for "testing" or "temporary/one day less than forever" use. Same with bullet connectors. I'm not sure what I'd do with pin type connectors? On the bright side, maybe somebody vandalized a perfectly functional machine and you'll be in luck once you figure out the electrical mess?

  6. #6backhoejoe2014-01-25 15:01

    It would have to be very narrow blades to go in the weather tight female connectors on the new harness I can't find anything to match the style exactly. The machine only has 6200hrs so I'm hoping to get some good out of it it sure has been an education but it's been pretty nice inside the shop the last week or so! Thank You

  7. #7excavator2014-01-25 23:45

    Is there an excavator wrecking business anywhere close to you? If so, you might be able to find some pieces there. Deere/Hitachi does sell a connector kit that may have them in it, a little spendy but if it works it may be worth it.

  8. #8spitzair2014-01-26 00:09

    I cut all the useable connectors off my old wiring harness when I did my EX200-2... They're in BC, if you can't find any and mine would work for you I could send you mine...

  9. #9backhoejoe2014-01-26 00:42

    I would be glad to make that worth your while and thanks for your input on wiring harnesses on these machines. I wish I would have removed all the wiring the day I brought it home what a mess. I need the pigtails from the angle sensor ,highspeed solenoids , speed sensor and throttle sensor if you can help with these just let me know about payment details Thanks again Joe

  10. #10Delmer2014-01-26 11:06

    A picture is worth a thousand words here. I'm sure deere/hitachi didn't invent a new connector for every sensor on every machine. If sptizair didn't replace his sensors, then somebody else would probably recognize the connector if you can show the front view of each and one side view of the "weatherstipping".

  11. #11spitzair2014-01-26 11:46

    Hi Joe, For what it's worth I'd reccomend rewiring the machine, it's not that big of a job, a new harness isn't all that pricy and it will solve your chasing wiring issues all over the machine. Also, did you track down a wiring diagram? I have one for an EX100-2 which I believe is similar to the 490E, but not 100% sure, somebody on here will be able to tell us if it is. I'm in Alberta at the moment but I'll see if I can get my dad to pack up and send the connectors...

  12. #12backhoejoe2014-01-26 12:37

    I have replaced the wiring harness on the machine its the pigtails that come with the sensors that are needed they had been cut off and patched to the old harness I just hate to violate the new harness to make these connections I'll try to post some pics and thanks again

  13. #13backhoejoe2014-01-26 12:49

    ebay item 221064229079 shows a picture of the angle sensor plug the others are of the same design

  14. #14spitzair2014-01-27 13:35

    If it's the female ends on the sensors you need then I can't help you, mine are the ends on the wiring harness itself which you should have if you have a new harness... If you do need the harness side of the plugs let me know.

  15. #15R&R repair2014-01-28 12:41

    your deere dealer can get the ends.. they are a metripack style connector,( while most of the parts guys dont know how to do it) the service dept can look them up for you i know it for a fact.... i worked for a deere dealer for 10 yrs....and 490es are a mess to work on sometimes!!!!, good luck!

  16. #16wilko2014-01-28 21:40

    Not to butt in, but I surely would appreciate a copy of that wiring diagram for my 120-2.

  17. #17backhoejoe2014-01-31 05:29

    I found them with the help of a mechanic I think he located them under E series repair connectors . I ran the machine yesterday Arm in is slow and it pulls when running both tracks together but either side individually is very weak. It gave codes 34 and 36 which as I understand it are sensors on machines above 25000 so the fun continues. Thanks to everyone for your input.

  18. #18backhoejoe2014-01-31 05:32

    I have them on paper for a 490e not sure how I could get them to you from my manual

  19. #19ANDREW C2014-01-31 10:44

    34 is boom up pilot pressure voltage low and 36 is arm in pressure sensor voltage low. Check and make sure that they are connected. Did you get the other sensors connected

  20. #20backhoejoe2014-01-31 12:10

    Everything but the swing cushion is connected