Hey all. Its been a season now and I thought I give an update on the D4. So winter has passed and I reached the point a few weeks back getting it to move on its own power for the first time in approx. 12 to 13 years. What I have done is listed below, and done all on site with just under two hours drive away to the property where its sits. 1) one new actuator 2) replaced missing air cleaner with throttle/governor arm 3)replaced missing clutch lever 4)changed all fluids and all filters 5)replaced temp gauge and added missing fuel flow gauge 6)installed missing front radiator screen 7)replaced one bad hyd line 8)replaced right brake return spring 9) replaced pony motor crank cover oil seal and plug wires 10) rebuilt the pony carb and mag. 11) removed mouse debris from many areas 12) freed frozen clutch and locked up motor. All this and many hours of elbow grease etc. One big question and issue is those infamous steering clutches. Current issues is most of my turning is relying on using the brakes. Left side cuts a good turn when pulling back on the lever and pushing hard on the left brake. Rt side much weaker. Why is it that when i pull back on both clutches it comes to a stop. But individually they really don't work ? Any input is appreciated. I will try and attach a current picture and video below. Jeff
Great progress! Sounds more like your right brake is bad then anything else. just pulling the clutches doesn't do much without using the brake.
Okay so I may be learning something here. I thought the brake was mainly used for a sharper turn? The clutch when pulled, will use the brake along with just pulling the clutch lever?
Some of it depends on the type of surface you are on, but yeah once it is moving in a straight line and the grousers are biting into the ground, it's going to want to keep going straight even with only one side being driven. The fact that it doesn't move with both clutches back means they are both working. With a good set of brakes, you shouldn't even really have to push hard to lock up the track on that side, so it sounds like maybe your left is weak and your right is out or it's an adjustment issue. If you look in the steering clutch adjustment compartment, you can probably get an idea of how much (if any) pad is left, or maybe there is grease all over the brake drum.
Well that’s interesting and makes sense. So yes I have been the clutch compartment with the top cover off. I can easily move the brake linings back and forth very easily. I was thinking of trying to look with a mirror to see just how worn they are. I tried to tighten them but the adjustment nut is super tight. The right clutch dry bay and right final drive was the only two compartments I had water. From what I can see everything looks very well lubricated and dirty. Noticed no rust. So if I understand my service book I should be able to change the pads without much disassembly? And are the pads easy to purchase and find? Currently I have maybe a couple of gallons of diesel sitting in both clutch compartments. Thanks again for your help. I saw your latest vid. and nothing stops you I’m always waiting for your next one.
If you are pulling something heavy or going up hill you won't need to use the brake so much . Going down hill the dozer is likely to drive to the left if you release the right clutch without the brake . Its a good test running down hill and having it drive of to the wrong side , shows nothing is binding
Good to know, and clears a lot up. Thats much better then clutches worn which I wasn't sure if they were worn. Looking at the service manual it looks to take some finesse to accomplish without taking transmission cover off. My biggest challenge on this D4 is it has what I believe a D6 seat/fuel tank on it with no removable panel under the cushion So I'm very restricted for normal access.
That backward steering going downhill without a load and the blade up we used to call “back-steering “