Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4hk1 engine in linkbelt excavator

monster76 ยท 2021-06-15 22:34

is there a difference between the engine for a truck and my excavator I can find a used engine local to me with warranty, only thing it is out of a regular box truck. I'm assuming I just have to swap out accessories and switch it over but I wanted to ask here first since you all seem pretty knowledgeable thanks guys

Replies2
  1. #1Birken Vogt2021-06-15 23:13

    I believe the truck engine will have a lot more emissions controls, will maybe have EGR, surely has a totally different injection pump and style of speed/torque governing and probably a higher RPM range. There would surely be a lot more work involved than from one piece of equipment to another but I can't say if it would be practical or not.

  2. #2John C.2021-06-17 09:50

    I assume by the prefix you gave that your engine is an Isuzu? I've always had good luck with that make of engine but there may be many differences. A truck generally averages less that 50% load all the time while an excavator runs over 50% load all the time. A truck engine makes rapid changes in speed constantly while an excavator runs similar to a generator set. Constant speed with varying loads. You need to do your home work. Get the serial number from the donor engine and then compare internal parts of the engines. Crankshaft, pistons, piston coolers, cam shaft and head would be the major items. Good Luck