So after doing some research I am thinking that something in the 8K to 10K range is probably what I am looking for. It seems like a good size to do most miscellaneous tasks without being to big. I am most likely looking at used excavators, although new is not totally out of the running yet. I do have an offer for a 2009 Cat 304C CR with 2300 hours on it for $22500. The only problem with the excavator is that it needs a door (which I am told is 2K). Supposedly they took it off for some reason and an employee of the guys ran over it. Anyway, obviously if I buy the machine I will take it to a dealer or other person and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. I also know the Cat rep for the local dealer and he has offered to run the serial numbers to confirm no major repairs or maintenance issues. Assuming everything checks out what kind of price is $22500 for that machine? It looks pretty good based upon what I see on machinerytrader.com but I have been told that the prices there are very inflated and not good comparisons. What other excavators do you recommend I consider in the 8K-10K pound range? I have looked at Kubota but the used ones seem to be in the 30K to 40K range. What Bobcat or Takeuchi models should I be looking at and comparing to? Lastly, if you are talking about new machines, is there a general hierarchy of prices for Cat, Kubota, Bobcat, and Takeuchi? In other words, if I look at a reasonably similar 5T machine from each brand, are they going to be similarly priced when new or are they much different? Thanks for the help!
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate some input either regarding whether that Cat is a good deal and/or what models from other companies I should consider in the 4T-5T range. I need to learn a lot about these machines quickly so I can make this purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations!
The 304 CAT is a great machine in that weigh range. Seems the price is OK but not great since its missing the door. Have your friend check it out for service records and take it from there...
Thanks for your response. Sounds like it is worth investigating but not a knee jerk "buy it now" deal. I appreciate the input!
Your welcome. Take your time and look closely and ask for service records etc...personally I would never buy a used machine without first operating it. If you are not a seasoned operator, seek one or ask to bring it to a certified dealer for a complete checkout....many honest folks out there but twice as many dishonest ones....best to buy from a local dealer with a 30 day warranty and a complete service inspection with full disclosure....
Thanks PA Farmer. I am not seasoned but would never buy this without a full head to toe (or bucket to cab) dealer inspection, assessment of trade in value as is, etc. One thing I am struggling with a little bit is that I keep looking at 8K to 10K pound excavators and I can't find another one anywhere close to this price! Everything else I see, whether Kubota, Cat, Tak, etc. is at least in the 30K's if not 40K price range for a machine around 2009 with 2K hours. Am I not looking in the right places for these used machines? It is just that every time I try to find machines to compare it to the one I am looking at is far and away a better deal.
Get it checked out and go over it good at CAT...maybe it's the right machine if everything checks out on it..
Not sure on the door but the price of the machine seems fair. One thing to think about is the 304 the 305 and 305.5 all are the roughly the same physical dimensions track width and length. With the 305 and 305.5 weighing more but have a lot more hp and breakout force. The 304s I have ran seemed underpowered for the size machine they are. I have a 303.5 and a 305.5. Based on what you said you want to use it for I would go the 303.5 route. Good luck