Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4×4 Options????

Thundurbyrd ยท 2008-08-19 12:19

I am looking for opinions on upfitting a Pete 335 chassis to 4-wheel drive. I have found a couple of places that will install the transfer case and a front drive axle at a cost around $20K - $30K. Then the other day I recieved information on a hydraulic driven front wheel drive system. If you don't know what it is (I hadn't heard of it for trucks), here is a link. http://www.tuthill.com/us/en/products/Catalog/EZ-Trac.cfm The hydraulic system would cost roughly around $20K, but I would have to run another PTO, pump and resivoir setup. Also, there is only a top speed of 20 MPH out of this system. Although I don't really need it at higher speeds, upfitting the driveline would give me the option at higher speeds if I ever did need it. My question is which is the better option? The hydraulic would cost a little less, but I haven't seen one in action? Any ideas?

Replies8
  1. #1Orchard Ex2008-08-19 12:30

    CE did an article on those systems recently: http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6568301.html?industryid=44204

  2. #2MKTEF2008-08-19 15:53

    Have a look at any 6wd motor grader, thats the same system. One or two hydraulic pumps feeding the engines in the hubs. I know the Volvo grader system is adjusting hydraulic pressure and volume after the gear, engine and speed sensors in the front and back wheels. Check this one: http://www.man-mn.de/datapool/mediapool/108/TGA_Hydrodrive_IAA_06_engl.pdf MAN trucks hydrodrive system. A Norwegian customer gave them the idea some years ago. He had a number of 4wd trucks in his fleet, but they where a bit expensive on long hauling... But needed on the steep roads at wintertime. Theese systems are coupled to the gearbox so the pump is speed dependent.

  3. #3Thundurbyrd2008-08-22 13:48

    Thanks for the links guys. I read those and feel a little more comfortable with this system.

  4. #4brian2008-08-23 13:36

    our fuel truck at wook is an 4x4 i belive it has an fabco front axle and t-case

  5. #5tresslers2008-09-05 11:52

    why not just get an old military truck? You could get a 6x6 tractor or a 6x6 dump. Depending on what you are looking for. But their the top speed is 50 MPH

  6. #6Dualie2008-09-09 20:53

    honestly unless you TRUELY need the extra drive axle for climbing icy drives, you would most likely be better served with a locking rear end. Anything that's really messy enough to need the 4x4 in you shouldn't be driving a MDT out in anyhow. The local grading contractor had a Kenworth T-330 water truck that was 4x4. After 3 transfer cases and some other drive line damage they sent it to the auction and replaced it with a tandem axle T-800 with full locking rears. THE tandem goes places that the 2 axle couldn't. Just food for thought. I don't want to see you drop the extra tens of thousands of dollars for something that wont be that useful. I always look to the oilfields for what works and what doesn't. You rarely see any of their rigs with drive front axles and they see some of the worst conditions you could think of driving through.

  7. #7Sageair2008-09-09 23:13

    I understand that you already have the Pete but I think upgrading would be really spendy and possibly troublesome. The utility company i worked for has a long history of buying International medium duty trucks from the factory as four wheel drives. They spend ALOT of time in tough country and all kinds of weather. They held up extremely well and could actually go places a four wheel drive pick-up coudn't. (deep snow) All the trucks we had were equipped with DT466 and Allison Autos.

  8. #8SKOAL2008-09-10 18:38

    cement trucks i drove ready mix a few years all wheel drive in sand was critical and if your going to bother 50 percent of the time you need wheel speed along with the all wheel drive 20 mph in slop sucks . We had a low gear and 3 air lockers and used them often because the grade contractor gets paid by the general contractor who could care less about how tough it is on the sub contractor.