I have a ~2004 IHI IC-45-2 rubber tracked crawler. It has some specialty oil field equipment mounted on the back in place of the dump bed. It has a Mitsubishi 100 hp engine. My injection pump is shot. A new one is nearly 10k and talked to two different rebuild shops and they say over 6k to rebuild it due to some costly parts. I talked with an equipment salvage yard and they told me they bought an identical machine to mine with a blown motor and replaced it with a 12 valve 5.9 cummins. They said the swap was relatively easy and they would recommend doing that instead of spending 10k on a pump. Any kind of parts for the Mitsubishi engine are hard to find and 5.9 parts are everywhere. The 5.9 will have double the HP I currently have but since the motor is just running a hydraulic pump I don’t think it should tear anything up? I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of doing this. If I don’t swap the engine I am leaning towards just buying a newer machine which now comes with the more common Isuzu diesel or a morooka which has a Cat engine. The downside of a newer machine is in addition to the cost of the machine there are fairly significant frame modifications that need to be done to accommodate the equipment on the machine which the shop that built the equipment and mounted it on there said would charge around 8k to do.
I guess it depends on how much modifications you need to do to install the Cummins. Sounds like the way to go though. I would not be spending 10k for a pump.
The salvage yard said it was easy to do. I handle minor repairs myself but was planning on having the mechanic shop do it. I ran the idea by them and they said they could handle it. It looks like I can find a good take out motor for around 5k. Even if I spend 5k in labor and misc parts to make it work it won’t be any more than the pump.
But here's a couple machines I found being dismantled if that helps . https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...d-machines/list/manufacturer/ihi/model/ic45-2
Thanks. That is the people I talked to. They actually only have one of the machines. They did the Cummins swap on the better of the two and cannibalized other parts as needed and sold the one as a running machine. They still have the other one but it has been pretty well picked through.
Can you get the injection pump part numbers off the current pump? I just picked an S6S-DT pump at random.
Furthermore, how do you know that the injection pump is shot? Have you had the injectors out and tested? I find that to be quite a reliable little engine. I just find it implausible that a pump could be more than $2500.
Get the #'s off the name plate & contact me direct..
I really would.
For future reference typically doing an engine swap on these rubber tracked dumpers is a piece of cake, at least if it was built before they started letting Siri and Alexa computerize them. Only thing to watch for is putting an engine in that turns significantly faster than the original, then it's best to consult the pump Gods to make sure they can handle the speed. Limiters and reliefs should take care of any additional horsepower. Cheers, Lanway
Wow! I am glad to see you back! I was afraid you got too much "ooka"!
LOL! Hi Mitch504.... Naw, just hiding out fighting the voices... Still around for whatever value that has. How's it going around here?
Been going pretty good, how about for you?
Doing okay, could always be better, right! LOL
Cummins also made that engine in a 4 cylinder 3.9L version.
Another “glad to see ya back!”
Another glad to see you back Lantraxco!
Also a very good choice for the smaller dumpers. These machines are typically 24 volts so you have to choose whether to convert the engine (starter, alternator, fuel shutoff) or the machine. (lights, gauges, relays, heater, etc.)
Hi Lab, CM, thanks, you guys are makin' the old man mist up a lil, lol
Our Gradall has a 3.9 Cummins - it's probably the most dependable engine in the fleet! It's 25 years old and will fire right off.
Didn't a lot of the CASE backhoes use the same engine? Cummins got it right with that series!
i believe they referred to those as CDC engines as per the agreement with cummins
Actually, per the official history of Cummins Co. the J. I. Case Corp. designed those engines and then approached Cummins.
Wow, never heard that before! Interesting. Cummins was stuck on 855 cubes forever, this must be what got them off the dime, lol.
No, its just the 855 worked. Nobody wants to talk about the triple nickel or the nine ot nothing.
I got sent to a Cummins class years ago about those engines. What we were told was that UPS started the trend in that they wanted a small diesel for their mail trucks and approached Cummins with the proposal. Cummins designed and built the "A" series engine which didn't really work out for UPS. Case wanted out of the engine business and having seen that Cummins might think out of the box, proposed what became the "B" Series engines. I forget how the "C" series engines came about but most of this all happened just after the "L" series engines hit the market.
Anybody remember the disaster that was the 444?
The A series engine was something they inherited when they purchased Onan. Not a bad engine itself but a little small by modern standards. 6 cylinder was only 3.4 liters, I am told they turbocharged it sometimes. The also had a 4 cylinder I think was 2.3 liters. I have some junk parts and one at a customer's still going. They say parts are scarce but I have not had problems getting what I need.
The instructor of the class had a pretty low opinion of the A engine. Said we would probably not ever see one in service in the rest of our careers.