Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5.9 cummins SAE 3 bellhousing starter issue

greerco ยท 2016-10-08 18:09

Hi I recently re powered my old Komatsu pc 200 with a 5.9 12 valve cummins from a pick up. I had to purchase a SAE 3 bell housing to allow the Komatsu pump to bolt to the engine. I had a adaptor plate machined to join the flywheel to the pump drive. My issue now is finding a starter. I used a 5.9 fly wheel out of a 1997 dodge 3500 standard transmission and i have a feeling that the flywheel circumference is to small and there fore the ring gear is to far away for any starter to grab it to turn it over. Does anyone know if i have the wrong fly wheel for a SAE3 bellhousing? or does anyone know of a starter that might work? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1OFF2016-10-08 18:29

    On the equipment we have using the old 5.9 12 valve Cummins, the starter number is 3964428. Give that a google and see if it looks right or looks anything like the automotive starter.

  2. #2greerco2016-10-08 18:33

    Thanks for the reply. That starter isnt for a sae3 bellhousing. It looks like the starter that came off the truck

  3. #3lantraxco2016-10-08 18:57

    Find the flywheel part number from whatever truck the engine came out of if you used the old flywheel, and the part number of the #3 housing, have Cummins run them through the magic box and see if they were ever used together. Odds are they were not and you won't find a starter to match, but it's worth a try.

  4. #4NZDIESEL2016-10-16 23:41

    Can you give me number off your flywheel and bell housing? I can figure out what starter you need.

  5. #5NZDIESEL2016-10-16 23:53

    Ive just looked at my komatsu system that lists the S6D102 / 6BT5.9 engine fitted to a PC200-6 Denso Number for Starter 228000-0633 your ring gear on flywheel should be 410mm Outside Diameter 127 teeth.

  6. #6Klinger2018-06-23 19:32

    Hello NZDIESEL I know this post is old I have the exact same issue. 1995 CUmmins 5.9 repowering Fiat Allis Loader. Used factory flywheel from Dodge and SAE3 bell housing Bell Housing Part Number: K3975179 OEM Number: 3975179 Flywheel Drive Plate - Mopar (5015709AB) 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 machines flywheel to fit adapter plate to transmission. Starter from original dodge rides about .5" above ring gear. Either need right starter or need to pull engine back out and try larger flywheel Have been looking for almost a year just cam across this post.