Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5.9 or 8.3 cummins?

wilddanz71 ยท 2011-10-30 19:33

I just picked up a real nice 98 F800 with a allison auto and a cummins engine, How do I tell what size the engine is? the owner did not seem to realy know much about the truck, Any help would be great! I hope its a 8.3

Replies11
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2011-10-30 20:21

    Im thinking its a 8.3 also, get the Vin and call Ford/Sterling

  2. #2Dualie2011-10-30 23:00

    should say somewhere on the engine. On the cummins 5.9's in the F-800's it was down on the drivers side near the power steering pump

  3. #3willie592011-10-30 23:59

    I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the 5.9 had individual valve covers for each piston. 8.3 had a single valve cover. Don't quote me on that though.

  4. #4chevota842011-10-31 15:40

    5.9 12v would have individual valve covers, 24v is a single cover. I think the 12v 8.3's had individual covers too. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  5. #5wilddanz712011-10-31 18:00

    It dose have individual valve, So that tells me its a 12V, but not if its a 5.9 or a 8.3?? Any more ways to tell? The rersaon I need to know the motor size is so I can order a block heater for it, the part numbers are diferent between each moror Any help is much needed thanks GUYS!!

  6. #6wilddanz712011-10-31 18:03

    There are a couple numbers cast into the block, but nothing that makes sense to tell the motor size? is it a tag im looking for? if so I cant find it

  7. #7chevota842011-10-31 18:45

    If there's a tag it'll be on the driver side of the front timing cover. What were the block #"s? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  8. #8John C.2011-10-31 19:53

    I've never seen a 5.9 two valve per cylinder single valve cover nor an 8.3 in any configuration with multiple valve covers. For what its worth.

  9. #9Goose2011-10-31 20:04

    If it has individual valve covers it is a B5.9 12 valve. The B5.9 24 valve has a single valve cover and the C8.3 has a single valve cover in 12 or 24 valve

  10. #10wilddanz712011-10-31 20:14

    sounds like its a 5.9 acording to the individual valve covers. thanks for the help guys! I will look in the morning for the tag on timing cover, I thought i saw something but it was covered in grease. Not to get off subject, but what is a real easy way to get more power from this engine, im no mechanic but im not afraid to tinker a little. I dont want to do any damage, its only got 66K miles on it!

  11. #11nevrenufhp2011-11-03 20:09

    A fun thing to do is to slide the fuel plate forward. Just be mindful of the exhaust temps. The pic is of an IH, but it's the same adjustment.