Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

5028 skytrak HELP

Chris2011 · 2015-07-23 22:17

I have been working on a 5028 skytrak with the c6 transmission every time I put it in gear as long as I hit the gas it will go when it is sitting still in gear then the Engine will stall out and die... My first thought was torque converter so I replaced it but I still have the same problem.... I need help I don't know a whole lot about transmission but I'm one hell of a mechanic I just need to be lead to the right spot HELP

Replies12
  1. #1BillG2015-07-23 22:34

    Does it do it in forward and reverse or just forward?

  2. #2willie592015-07-23 22:38

    Welcome to HEF Chris2011. :drinkup I recall those Skytrak machines with a C6 tranny. And like you, I can mechanic all around a machine but I ain't no tranny person. However, if you suspected it was a problem with the torque converter, which would be a first logical assumption, but then you replaced it just to find you have the same problem, then perhaps you have an engine problem, maybe with the governor in the injection pump. After all, even a properly working torque converter still puts a load on the engine, maybe the injection pump governor is not working properly in the idle position. Just a thought.

  3. #3Chris20112015-07-24 06:27

    yes it does it in forward and reverse.... i can put it in gear and it will go but as soon as i let off and hit the brake it dies.. i can get it in first and second while its moving but when i put it in third it wants to die

  4. #4Chris20112015-07-24 09:29

    someone else said it could be the engine also... i dont know a whole lot about the 4b cummins i wounder if there is a adjustment on the injector pump for the governor... this thing has gave me the blues i love a challenge but damn

  5. #5Chris20112015-07-24 14:32

    i HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT ONE OF THE VALVES IN THE TRANSMISSON COULD BE STUCK....HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM

  6. #6Knepptune2015-07-27 22:18

    Bet dollars to donuts it's an adjustment on your engine injection pump. If you give it just a little throttle does it still die. Try sitting at idle and run all the hyd circuits you can. See if it dies then.

  7. #7Troy bowline2022-09-18 11:18

    I have lost hydraulic and don't know what to check, added fluid, now what??? 5028 skytrac

  8. #8BillG2022-09-18 13:16

    If you have lost "all" hydraulics including steering, then I would take a wag here and say the splines have gone bye bye on the pump. BUT before you condemn the pump completely, take the main pump line and put it in a 5 gallon bucket or if it's long enough back to the tank, run the engine for a short time (5 seconds) and see if you have any flow. Now this is not a guaranteed test because you don't have any restrictions on the line but it will at least give you a point of reference to let us know what is going on.

  9. #9brkmke2024-04-08 12:38

    has anyone had problems with fork tilt hydraulic hoses constantly getting destroyed inside boom , and how did you reroute them for easy access aand logical set yup

  10. #10willie592024-04-08 19:43

    If it's constantly and consistently destroying the hoses inside the boom, that's not normal. I'm not familiar with that installation on this particular machine, but if that's happening you have something out of alignment, components worn and not working properly to route hoses, incorrect hose tension, and possibly even using the wrong hose assembly for that application. Are you using OEM Skytrack hoses?

  11. #11brkmke2024-04-09 10:50

    No sir, I took OEM to ferry hydraulics, the best around. They measured and matched. This machine must have been a failure in design. They don’t sell track guide(slicer) anymore. Hoses OEM are 2000 and honestly I can’t afford a 2000 torn up rats nest again. Out side the boom just trying to figure best way

  12. #12brkmke2024-04-09 15:05

    This machine is old. They don’t even have a spring loaded wheel to retract hose or anything. Just cross fingers and hope it stays in stupid channel in there! I now understand why this model was discontinued and they don’t sell track anymore! I just need it operating like yesterday