Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

503A cutting edge

townlineterry ยท 2016-10-30 08:07

Trying to find a new cutting edge for my Galion 503A. did the google search, no luck with the usual suppliers. My mechanic suggested using a torch to cut it off even then hand grinding it to the proper edge. I'm afraid we would only make things worse and have something not useable at all. So if you know where I can find a cutting edge for this machine or something that can be adapted let me know. Terry

Replies5
  1. #1repowerguy2016-10-30 08:45

    We used to just call our Cat dealer and tell them we wanted two 5 foot long 6 inch high grader cutting edges, we liked the 1/2" thick ones. As far as I know the edges aren't proprietary to Galion.

  2. #2FWD2016-10-30 19:23

    I have a 503A. When I needed an edge a County mechanic gave me two 6' edges. I cut them off and they fit just fine. I have used a torch to true them up twice as they wear more in the center. I will be looking for a new edge soon as I don't know the new mechanics. FWD

  3. #3cuttin edge2016-10-30 20:34

    We cut edges all the time. I wouldn't try to torch new holes, but if you need to trim for length, I can't see it causing any grief

  4. #4lantraxco2016-10-30 21:22

    Typically grader blades are grader blades, specify length, width, thickness, curved or flat, any equipment dealer should have a variety. Oh, and bolt size, 5/8, 3/4. etc.

  5. #5FWD2016-11-18 16:12

    I called my H&L dealer today and the parts lady said she didn't have 5' edges in stock but there store in Blaine, Mn did have them. I could have them shipped today for a fee, but if I wait for normal shipment shipping is free. I ordered them and they are 5/8" X 6" X 5', nothing special just not a common sale in our area, mostly 6' and 7'. DWF