Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

508B CK – spring projects.

Backbreaker Hoe ยท 2020-05-02 19:52

Hi - just doing a quick post as I've been back on the site recently, reading old forums, posts and the great advice I always get here. My 1975 Case 580 B CK - still starts and runs well, has the typical issues, the hydraulics creep down if left up - still don't know what's causing that. But I'm down the path this spring of a new hydraulic pump, new water pump, new radiator. Then, we go to work on my farm where I want to build a cabin. The backhoe was purchased with the intention of digging foundation and possibly the lateral field septic system also. Did notice this spring, leaking on throttle shaft on the injector pump, not sure if I'll tackle that or not. Drip drip drip. My son's used it to dig several stumps, and take down an old mobile home and dispose of it. So, she still has plenty of work left in her. Just posting pics about the new spring R & R job on the hydraulics. Would enjoy comments or questions. This is my weekend hobby - not a full time thing. The pump came off surprisingly easy, which makes this job a lot faster. New pump in hand, but waiting for new Radiator, spline coupling and the fan belt to arrive to complete the job next weekend. Will post more then.

Replies8
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-05-03 11:29

    The hydraulics leaking down is normal for these machines but you can check the circuit relief pressure for each individual cylinder, and if you have any cylinder drift, such as when you bottom out a cylinder another one tries to work or when you feather a control lever the cyl. will drop a littler before it comes up then the load check O-rings are bad and will have to be replaced.

  2. #2Backbreaker Hoe2020-05-17 16:58

    Update - first - thank you Coy Lancaster, I will defiantly preform that test when I get the tractor back up and operational again. Next, see attached photos - I've turned the corner - I have all parts off, I have begun the reconditioning process, and the fight to find parts when / if necessary. Not so hard to find parts, but hard to find them at a reasonable price is the real challenge. So far so good - The only two parts I've fought so far are the low pressure side pickup tube which screws into pump, has a lock nut, which seemed like it was welded. But of course was just rusted in place. Through days and days of penetrating oil, and some good solid wrenching with set up on a vise - I was able to free it, exercise it and it's ready for work again. The spline / shaft fought me hard also. Removal of spline off the old hub involved a detailed clean-up and more penetrating oil, and a big hammer / punch - it gave way and came out. I think next weekend, will be the start of installation of the new hydraulic pump, new belt, newly painted fan hub, fan, new radiator, new coolant hoses and clamps, in the tractor and see it running again. Can get the old gal back up on her feet and working again? So far so good - these old American made tractors are made of some pretty tough steel. Backbreaker.

  3. #3Backbreaker Hoe2020-06-13 15:44

    Hi back - been working the tractor, nearing completion. New hydraulic pump in, new fittings where needed. New water pump, and radiator. It wasn't that bad, all about sequence for refit of radiator and lower hose. I used a high quality, heavy duty bottom radiator hose, and applied grease to get it to slide in nicely. Fitment was great. Have the tractor back up and running, it's amazing what a new hydraulic pump did. No exact way to measure, but feel I've gained about 1/4 more pulling / pushing power than before the R and R on backhoe and front loader. Both are also more responsive. I blew no hoses - yet. But - we did discover that the bucket had a big weld / crack. While pulling hard on a stump on the farm - chunk flew off. Been a couple of "ibuprofen" weekends.

  4. #4Backbreaker Hoe2020-06-13 15:45

    More photos...

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2020-06-13 17:54

    That's a good looking hoe you've done a great job getting her back up and running.

  6. #6Bootheal2020-06-13 23:09

    I agree with Coy, nicely done. Good looking rig.

  7. #7Backbreaker Hoe2020-09-20 15:18

    Hi folks - well, she is done, and digging again. I do have a dipper cylinder leaking down now, but hey, that's life. The two boxes on the top, I welded up and painted to protect the radiator and diesel caps. The radiator had been bent from debris falling on it prior, so I hope this will be a good fix for that. Enjoy the final result - still rusty and old - but working hard and doing well.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2020-09-20 15:39

    Looks good you did a good job.