Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

50D quick attached style

Nick Powell · 2025-02-23 11:02

I just purchased a 2008 50D, John Deere excavator. I’m not familiar with this style of bucket attachment. Is it any good, or should I see about converting to the wedge lock system? The bucket that came with the excavator, seems to be very loose and sloppy through the attachment system. It is also about the cheapest looking bucket I’ve seen, with no bolt on cutting edge and generally looks cheap. Not the bucket pictured.

Replies6
  1. #1Nick Powell2025-02-23 11:35

    This is the bucket that’s actually on it.

  2. #2Gary Layton2025-02-23 11:48

    My understanding of things says that is a grading bucket. For making smooth digs as in shaping a dam contour.

  3. #3Tags2025-02-23 18:17

    So that is considered a Wain Roy quick hitch style. Tag mfg also makes a version of it. The good thing is it’s stupid simple, and buckets can be found fairly easily,bad thing is it loosens up relatively quickly so you’re constantly welding on the bucket and/or coupler to keep things tight-ish. I think the easiest and most cost effective thing to do would be to keep running that system and buy a couple of other buckets, I imagine you’ll need one with teeth at some point. On that size machine, if you’re going to have a coupler, in my experience a 30” digging bucket, and a 16-18” digging bucket and a ripper tooth pair well with the grading bucket you already have, but it all really depends on what you plan on doing with your new to you machine. The next simplest thing to do would be to buy a standard pin on bucket and put it on in place of the coupler, you would no longer have the ability to quickly change buckets and would be stuck with whatever bucket you choose and you wouldn’t be able to use the grading bucket you got with the machine. You could also go back to the standard Deere wedge lock style coupler and buckets, I believe Weldco Beales manufactures that for Deere. All new buckets and a new coupler would be needed. Good luck with your new purchase!

  4. #4Nick Powell2025-02-23 21:43

    There is a fella not too far away selling a wedgelock he just took off a new machine for $850. I think I might see about buying it.

  5. #5Tags2025-02-24 06:39

    just check on pricing for the buckets and availability first before you get the wedge lock coupler. I’m fairly certain that aftermarket bucket manufacturers offer the Deere style coupler. USA attachments does for sure.

  6. #6Nick Powell2025-02-24 07:16

    used buckets with the wedgelock system seem to be more plentiful in my area.