Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** 50h transmission wont engage.

racecarrice ยท 2015-09-23 21:29

I just traded for a ** 50h backhoe and the transmission wont engage in forward or reverse. the man that had it said it would work sometimes but now i cant get it to work at all. Does anyone know where i could find out how or what to check? I am a mechanic but have never worked on a ** transmission before. It is supposed to be a 1987 model but im mot sure. It has the shifter on the steering column.

Replies12
  1. #1Jim Kennedy2015-09-24 05:53

    Hi racecarrice. I recently bought a ** 50H Series S and I think 1987 model and have not had any problems with the transmission. I think you should start with the electrical system and it's components. Here is the curcuit drawing.I would be checking with a meter starting from No5 the Start Switch through to the directional solenoids and the two declutching switches and their appropriate relays and check fuse No6. Please note there is a PDF attachment which you will need to open, there are two pages in the PDF. Jim

  2. #2racecarrice2015-09-24 14:59

    Thanks Jim I do believe it is in a switch or something and not a mechanical problem. I did check on one of the solenoids and had power with a test light but never checked to make sure of the voltage. I dont have it home yet so its hard to check after i get off work.

  3. #3d4c24a2015-09-24 15:06

    On the side dash where the rev counter, key etc are , there is an override button ,try this and see what happens ,if it works it could be one of the declutch buttons

  4. #4racecarrice2015-09-24 15:33

    I didnt see any button there. the only thing i seen was a red button that i thought was emergency flashers.

  5. #5d4c24a2015-09-24 16:13

    if you look on jim's attachment 96 emergency drive , sure it's a black button on the side

  6. #6racecarrice2015-09-24 16:39

    It is still at the guy that I got it from house so i will look for the black button when I go back to work on it but I'm pretty sure there is no button there but I hope it will be that simple. thanks.

  7. #7AussieChris2015-09-25 06:35

    On my 50HX the override button is a RED one. It is on the back side of the side console. It is supposed to by-pass all the safeties. Also, check your fuses. Chris.

  8. #8d4c24a2015-09-25 15:00

    Its only for emergency use , not a fix but will tell if it is electrical

  9. #9racecarrice2015-09-25 19:19

    thanks i will try that mine has the red button on the back side.

  10. #10racecarrice2015-10-03 22:27

    Ok thanks guys I finally got it home. it was the steering cylinder leaking and lost all of the oil in the transmission. I had to drive it about three miles to get it home. It only made it about a half of a mile so i had to have the wife pull me the rest of the way with with our gmc envoy but at least its home now. I put oil back in and trans works fine. I plan a trip to the hydraulic shop this week to get the cylinder rebuilt.

  11. #11AussieChris2015-10-05 06:53

    Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up post.

  12. #12racecarrice2015-12-20 22:54

    Okay I thought that I had it figured out when I posted last update but that wasn't it. I think that I finally got it figured out. I replaced the declutch solenoid and it has worked fine ever since. Now I just have to rebuild the main boom cylinder and I will be ready to start digging ditches. I have used the front loader about four hours and so far so good.