I have a 50s John Hollingsworth generator powered by a naturally aspirated Continental TD427. We have used this generator a few times with small issues like mechanical oil pressure gauge line breaking & small issues like that. Then in early 2020 it quit starting, but would run on ether. One of our friends / customers owns a diesel shop on the way to our jobsite so we dropped it off with him as we were too busy to look into it. His conclusion was contaminated fuel. We were in a hurry and sent the pump to a local place to be gone through, there was some kind of plunger stuck, keeping the pump from injecting fuel. The shop cleaned up the line set & installed a temporary fuel tank. We got a replacement tank built, because the orginal could not be economically taken apart. Now it has only been ran on new clean diesel and we're ready to install the new fuel tank. I get it installed and fueled up and run into the same problem again, this being a few months later we sent the pump back in with the same symptoms. By this time the company that rebuild the pump moved out of state, from Ca to somewhere else, I can find out tomorrow if it's important. They tore the pump down noted heavy varnish and re assembled it. I started asking questions and made a thread on a different forum and it was recommended that I give this machine heavy doses of power klenz id 5007. After getting the line set cleaned up again, changing the fuel pump & low pressure lines, filters & cleaning the housing that was reused everything was assembled and up and running.
Fast forward to this past week and we have use for this thing again. I installed fresh batteries and tried to fire it up, no dice. It starts off of ether. I cracked the low pressure lines & the lift pump is pumping fuel. I cracked the lines to prime the injectors & nothing... I decided to pull the Governor cover off and see what kind of shape it was in & the fuel was ruby red with no build up. Next I pulled the timing cover off of the pump & noticed that the timing mark wasn't moving... upon removing the pump I found this. I confirmed that the injection pump is indeed locked up. It has had problems before judging by this orange silicone. I don't have any literature on this engine or injection pump, but I am leaning towards tearing the pump down myself and either locating a shaft or having one built, but another seemingly major problem with this engine is that it gets oil in the cooling system.
I guess my question is; if anyone knows where to search for parts or has information on these engines it would be greatly welcomed. I have two Motors Truck Manuals from the 50s & 60s, but they only list specifications for TD6427.
The pump SHAFT has snapped off due to the HEAD AND ROTOR being SEIZED.. Neither part is salvageable.. The Continental part number is on the bottom right on the nameplate.. The manufacturer part number (RoosaMaster/Stanadyne) is on the top line: DBGFC635-2AO FROM WHAT I CAN MAKE OUT. It might be DBGFCC… I can tell.
First off good morning pumpguy & thank you for the reply. You were the one that I was told to find by the person who directed me to this forum. From reading some of your previous posts, I think that you've already diagnosed the problem with the roosamaster on my 580b. Model #: DGFCL635-2AQ Serial #: 113904 Manufacturing #: TD427F-290 We've been trying to track down parts since Friday afternoon so not too long, but do you of a source for these?
Can u confirm it’s a 6 cyl.?? Or a 4 cyl.??
6 cylinder.
I found a pump online but it’s sold.. Let me look around and I’ll be in touch.
Sounds good, Thank-you.
There’s a pump at Aviation store.. Use the TD427F-290 number in CAPS. & fill out the form.. There’s a spot for your target price.. I’d put 300.00 US..& see what the response is.. The pump will have to be gone thru to make sure it’s in good working order.. so take that into consideration..($$$)
Btw.. ur going to HAVE TO pull the injectors.!! That’s what probably seized the rebuilt pump.?? Once the pump starts pumping fuel, and it hits a stuck injector, the fuel pressure backs up down the line and seizes the pump.. So before u bolt a pump to the engine, pull the injectors and get them checked.. It sounds like u have more problems with that engine with oil in the coolant.. U might be throwing good money after bad.??
It doesn't come up often that we need a big generator so right now we're trying to get a price list together. I'm going to be picking up another newer one this week that we are going to get running for a customer and may have to end up buying while we figure out what we are going to do with the TD427.
Current plan is to let this TD427 sit idle and set up an ebay search for a complete TD427.
I thought I mighta had one, but no-go.. Good luck with your search..
Thank-you.
What about doing an engine swap if the generator is in good shape? Might be easier being a generator.
To tell the truth, I don't know too much about generator engine swaps. I've never had the engine pulled from a big generator like this and don't really know what the requirements would be.
I think it would be easier than on equipment because the engine is out in the open with no frame or anything else to deal with. Just need to align the crankshaft with the generator but might be able to use a HD coupler instead of direct bolted. There is a Continental engine shop here but I doubt they would have anything that far back. They work on a lot old Lincoln welders.
I need to figure out the hp & torque requirements at 1800 rpm.
I don't think that should be too hard to find or figure out. Would think Continental would still have specs. for older engines.
My Google fu is not working too well on this project.
What's the KW of the genset?
45.04 KW
I do have a line on a 366 Chevy truck engine which should have more than enough (almost double) the power required to turn this generator @ 1800.
You need a governor and a gas engine would cost a fortune in fuel.
I would have to figure out a governor & all fuel is outrageous here. This thing only gets run for a few hours at a time.
I'd still use a diesel engine.
Big problem is, diesel engines are kinda banned here. I guess gasoline ones might be too.
Does that apply to older equipment with a period correct engine? I know some big outfits had to retrofit new emissions compliant engines but what about small part time or hobby users of equipment? Does it depend on how often you use it?
Yes. Afaik diesels are bad. Our main equipment is pre emissions with factory engines in factory configurations.
What if you happened to have a suitable older diesel engine to power it? It's different than if it was fairly new generator that came with an emissions compliant engine. Running on gas doesn't seem very efficient. Best case is you could parts and use the original engine.
I don't think that it is carb compliant as is and will not be without a '14 or newer power plant.
I don't know all the California rules for older diesel equipment but what do hobby users with old tractors and equipment do if they can't afford to buy new machines?
I'm not sure what the rules are for hobby users or small operations.
Might be worth looking into. I thought I read something that if older machines are only used occasionally they can still be used. A back up generator seems to fit that description.
Where does Cali stand on LP? I see a surprising number of sizeable LP units on CL and FB Marketplace, and the prices seem far more reasonable since not everyone can just come up with a big tank of LP to back them up. LP doesn't go bad sitting in the tank either.
Timing is everything.
Other repaired shaft.
What r u going to do about the seized head and rotor.?? U can tell what caused it to seize by the score mark around the rotor.. The pump manufacturer has made a list with pictures.. Good luck with the overhaul..
Nothing, the rotor is also broken. I have an inquiry out for a replacement pump, waiting for a response on that. I had to heat the stator with the rosebud while pushing the rotor with a 20t press. I'm not sure if the rotor broke when I tried to start the engine or if it broke when I heated it.