Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

510 D backhoe won’t move.

farmalls ยท 2018-03-22 22:33

My backhoe has always had good power and strong hydraulics with no noticeable lag in shifting. I got out to hook up a chain and got back in and it wouldn't move but wheels were free. (Park brake had quit working early this winter and I had to put a bigger fuse in or it blows fuse ) I might have 2 problems . Long story short with all tires in the air they rotate in reverse real slow in 1st and 2nd gear no matter what position FNR lever is in. Set it on the ground and driveshaft will spin in reverse a few turns if I give it some throttle then stops and when I lower rpms again it spins the other direction and stops. (Like it is relieving a slight pressure that has built up ). But no pull down on the engine whatsoever. Any ideas ?

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2018-03-22 23:34

    Clutch pedal? oil levels? Do you know how the system works? and who made the reverser? You'll probably wait a long time to find somebody familiar with a 510D (it's a JOHN DEERE, right?), but you might get lucky and the reverser will be common to lots of backoes, or not.

  2. #2farmalls2018-03-23 00:33

    Thanks Delmer , Yes John Deere . I covered the basics that are covered in operators manual but I have to order a shop manual to the exact model but I found one for a similar john deere backhoe with the same drive system so hoping to find a little information. I was hoping to find a common electrical failure or something simple and common . Seems hard to believe it could be anything major as well as the tractor has worked in the past.

  3. #3JonathanMA2018-03-28 16:11

    Check both switches on the shift lever and on the loader control valve handle-- they are both normally closed switches that are connected in series-- if a wire breaks (many times at the loader lever linkage area) the circuit is open and no drive-- There's a junction point/connector at the base of the shift lever and at the base of the loader lever-- disconnect and jump the wiring at each one and see if that makes it move.

  4. #4farmalls2018-03-29 11:49

    Thank you , I'll give that a try .

  5. #5Finca SDR2018-03-30 10:44

    That sounds like the clutch cutout solenoid on my 310d sometimes it misbehaves and I have to give I a sharp tap on the top to get it to reengage. But yeah, no go front or back, residual spinning of the wheels in the air, sounds like something is disconnected

  6. #6farmalls2018-03-30 21:35

    Thank you Finca , I will check that out too once the snow and cold gives us a break .