Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

510 john deere backhoe

harleyhog · 2024-09-29 12:23

Hi guys I'm trying to get a old 1977 I think it is john deere 510 backhoe started but winning slow and no start

Replies18
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-09-29 15:54

    Loosen the steel lines AT THE INJECTORS.. & crank the engine until fuel squirts out and tighten them up. Keep the throttle at wide open.. R u sure u have fuel in the filters AND at the injection pump inlet.??

  2. #2Diesel Dave2024-09-29 16:35

    Is there a solenoid valve on the hydraulic pump , like shown in the pic below ? Is there 12 volts at the solenoid valve coil when cranking ? The solenoid valve is designed to de-stroke the hydraulic pump when the engine is cranking over resulting in faster engine cranking speeds. .

  3. #3harleyhog2024-09-29 17:16

    I crack the lines nothing, I checked down by where the fuel goes in the injection pump I fuel there but not coming out to go to the lines. And it not winning over very fast.

  4. #4harleyhog2024-09-29 17:17
  5. #5harleyhog2024-09-29 17:20

    There is 12v but not sure if it's working I tryed moving wheel back and forth moving levers, the legs and bucket and hoe is already down on it when it was packed, there is a lever on the left side but wont release

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-09-30 09:02

    Can you post a pic of the lever on the left side that won’t release .

  7. #7harleyhog2024-09-30 09:37

    It's in the bottom picture hard to pick out because it's painted

  8. #8mg23612024-09-30 11:50

    Clutch disconnect. If it has never been used, don't touch it.

  9. #9harleyhog2024-09-30 13:32

    Could that be why it don't wine of fast i can't get it to start on ether,

  10. #10thepumpguysc2024-09-30 16:19

    Is there a shut off solenoid in the inj pump top cover.?? There’s A LOT of different 510’s. If it has a solenoid, there will be a 12v wire hooked to the top cover.. check it for 12v with the key on. & u should here it clicking on and off while cycling the key on and off..

  11. #11harleyhog2024-09-30 16:50

    Hi it has a wire to it I test it with a test light it comes on and off with key but I didn't check see if it clicked,

  12. #12harleyhog2024-09-30 16:54

    Should it start on ether, or is it whining over to slow to start on ether to get the fuel pumping

  13. #13Tinkerer2024-09-30 23:06

    The splice in the shut off solenoid prolly should be cut off and back to clean wire. Solder it and shrink wrap it. When you do that and test the solenoid to see if it working.

  14. #14thepumpguysc2024-09-30 23:15

    Wow.. that’s a mess..

  15. #15harleyhog2024-09-30 23:16

    How can I tell if it's working

  16. #16thepumpguysc2024-09-30 23:26

    Reread post #11.

  17. #17Tinkerer2024-10-01 09:09

    Unfortunately whomever it was that made that splice wrapped one of the wires around the other. It is a mistake that will always create problems when joining two or more wires together. They have to be twisted together to make a reliable bond.

  18. #18harleyhog2024-10-01 09:12

    I will fix that it was done like that before me, if I had it running and home in my garden I could fix things the right way