Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

530 dresser transmission

dony · 2018-10-14 10:19

my 530 dresser trany problem is it will always backup in reverse in all three gears, but I stopped using it because almost all the time it will not go forward in none of the 3 speed forward gears, sometimes it will work if you keep going from neutral to to forward, I have been told the forward clutch pack needs overhaul whats anyones thoughts. thank you

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2018-10-21 22:40

    You should probably check pack pressures.

  2. #2dony2018-10-21 23:04

    I will do that I bought a shop service manuals and it will be a winter project for me, I will be in touch here as I progress through system checks thanks

  3. #3dony2018-10-22 08:09

    can the forward clutch pack be removed without removing the transmission ?

  4. #4John C.2018-10-22 16:34

    I've never worked on a wheel loader where that was possible. I have seen Clark transmission in huge machines like Raygo Wagners where a cover could be removed and individual packs worked on. The constant mesh transmissions used in the Dresser loaders I've worked on had to be removed and turned onto their backs so the cover could be removed to expose the shafts and packs. The cover was also the bearing carrier for the individual shafts and carried the hook ring seals for the hydraulic flow.

  5. #5kshansen2018-10-22 19:33

    I worked on one or two of the large Clark transmissions in the 475 IIIA Michigan Loaders and yes you could strip those to the bare case while it remained in the frame. Probably easier to do it in place than figure out how to remove and reinstall the complete transmission! Never worked on a little Dresser/Hough, smallest was a 540. Seems I recall on some of those bigger ones there were covers that could be removed in frame that gave you access to the hook type shaft seals. Anyone know of an online parts breakdown for the 530?

  6. #6Chuck8762018-12-18 22:00

    I’m currently having the same issues only she only goes forward, which one of these clutch packs drives reverse gear?

  7. #7dony2018-12-18 23:20

    I had totally forgotten about this thread, that I started. I have not had a chance to get my 530 into the shop, I bought a newer 530 but I still plan on working on the one with the trany problem this winter and when I do I will definitely respond...thanks and good luck guys

  8. #8Chuck8762018-12-19 22:59

    Hey dony could you send me some notes out of your manual for the 530, I’m having the same issues but only I’m not getting reverse in all three gears. I’ve removed everything except the top clutch pack all the way up top and oh the tranny is still in by the way, but that one up top is giving me some difficulty. I’ve never done anything like this before, it’s my first time doing a transmission of any sort. Got my uncles old dresser and I’m bringing life back into it!

  9. #9max mac2018-12-24 01:11

    Top pack is fwd and rev. First is the only pack you can remove without taking out transmission.That is the one that sticks out on Lh side at the front.Little bit tricky to strip and assemble,but if you get stuck I can send pages from parts or service manual