Have a 544J that when the bucket was full it would drift down. Checked the ram and no internal leaks. Switched the psi relief valve and all was fine. Now 2 weeks later when curling or dumping the bucket it will travel at normal speed, but when the control handle is released the ram will continue the same direction at a slow speed. If you tap the control the other way you may get it to stop and hold but is tough to find the sweet spot. Acts like the spool does not want to center. Any info on where or what to test? sn. 603021
Do you think youve had a cylinder failure and the debris have been giving your problems
Not really sure. But the first time around I filled the bucket, propped it up against the pile, caped the lines and raised it up. It held great. I would think the cylinder is fine, but other than what I did there I can't say for sure.
Could be the bolt that holds the return springs to the spool in the bucket section is loose or damaged or spring broken.
Does the loader have ride control. Turn it off and see what happens or you may have to unhook the line that lets the oil escape to the other side of valve.
Ride control is on the boom cylinders only. How many hours on machine?
I read bucket and my brain said loader. it sounds more like the main spool is sticking. I have seen oil with high moister content rust a spool and cause this.