Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

544j fuel injection pump

svs1970 · 2020-11-10 22:35

544j has is not a common rail motor. I turned flywheel till pin lined up in flywheel. Checked rocker arms both lose. Remove pump. When I removed pump pin hole on pump shaft was facing down, remann pump was facing 12:30. So I slide pump back on and turned engine over one rev, line flywheel pin back up and pull pump and hole in shaft is at 11:00. I turned new pump to 12:30 to match old one. Getting some fuel out of lines but wont start. I don't have any manual and our jd dealer will not help . Can someone help give me some specs so I can recheck what I did. I've changed many before but I think I got it 180 off not sure. Just smokes alittle. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2020-11-10 23:19
  2. #2thepumpguysc2020-11-11 08:09

    “IF” u have a DE pump.. the flywheel hole will come up TWICE.. The PUMP TIMING HOLE will only come up ONCE.. That’s why u shoulda checked the PUMP TIMING HOLE, (fig 3) FIRST, BEFORE pulling the pump.. The above instructions r what u need.. It sounds as if ur 180* outta time.. OH.!! And BE SURE TO DE-GREASE BOTH THE TAPER IN THE GEAR AND THE DRIVE SHAFT ITSELF AND THE NUT &WASHER BEFORE YOU TORQUE IT... VERY IMPORTANT TO TORQUE IT.. OR. IT’ll spin.. Good luck..

  3. #3svs19702020-11-11 16:12

    Well that was exactly what I needed,reset flywheel and pin in pump. And runs like a champ. Thanks wish dealer would of done that.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2020-11-12 05:01

    Glad ya got’r runnin.!! You’ll know better next time.. If u time THE PUMP FIRST and CHECK the engine *, before removing the pump.. chances are real hi you won’t have any problems going back on.. AND u can ward off any potential problems BEFORE u waste a lot of time..(pump dot on dr. shaft)