We are now looking to buy a dozer. We run deere through and through. Now i've heard that there isn't much of a difference between the 550 and the 650 just horsepower. We mainly do resedential housing so being able to move around is something to consider. But we don't want something that is to small when it comes to pushing dirt. Moving a machine is not a problem. just like to know the pros and cons of anny of the machines. thanks for any help.
650 Lgp for sure we also do residential its the best for that type of work
The 550 ain't a bad lil machine. I was surprised with how well it did when i got the chance to run one.
buck, I would say go with a 700 unless you find a good deal on a 650/550 near you. They are just an all around great machine. Good horsepwer to weight. Same engine as in the 750. Blanced good. Does real good on slopes. Has enought weight to stump but not burn through a whole lot of fuel. Its just the right size.And wheather you you get one with a winch(which i perfer),ripper or drawbar they ride real smooth. Not much difference between trailering a 650 vs a 700 either. Also a 650/700 tends to hold more resale. If you were buying new and keeping the machine till death I would check into the SC-2 bushings.
I agree with Deereman. I have a 650 G and I have always wanted more power. Maybe I am asking too much but with the 650 you can't just blow through a tandem load of dirt. Where as my friend as a 700J and the difference in power is significant. The 700 is definetly larger so maybe around houses the 650 H or J would be better. The H or J is hydrostatic and is much faster and may make up for the less power of the 700. In other words I would be happier with my 650 if it was hydrostatic.
The 650J is a nice machine. There are three settings that the dealer can choose from to set up the dozer before they send it out. So if you have a H or J dozer and it seems like it doesn't push dirt very well it is probably set up for fine grading. I prefer them set up very aggressive. Of course operating techniques make a difference too.
I worked for a contractor that had two 650 Gs of different model years and I liked the older one better.I had more pushing power and there was a significant difference in performance between the two dozers.The older one had the rectangular see through fuel filter and the newer one had the round canister type as I remember.It was plastic anyway,I never bothered to check on the model years of the machines. The newer one required you to remove the lower return hose to drain the hydraulic system,kind of a messy affair.John Deere will always be my choice in small dozers,they have done their homework.Ron G
Can you haul a 700 and stay legal on the width?
Just curious. I've never been around a g series but have ran several J series. Does the G not have the Total Control system like a J series where the operator can adjust the settings to suit himself?
Did you notice if either one of the dozers was a Torque converter or direct drive? That might have been the difference yes you should no problem No the g's are a totally different machine. j- are faster but not as powerfuill. Specially when doing stump work. I would like to have a 650G with a 650J cab!!
It really all depends on your intent in how you plan to use the tractor and the regulations as far as shipping dimensions. The 550J is a grown up 450J. The 650J is its own tractor as is the 700J. There are virtually no differences between the 550 and 650 as far as shipping regulations. Chances are if you have a trailer large enough for the 550, it will also haul a 650 just fine. If you are ok with a 6 roller bottom, for the money I would go for the 550J LT over the 650J LT. IF you want a 7 roller bottom for better grading balance I would go for the 650J XLT or 650J LGP. The 700J is quiet a bit larger tractor and has excellent balance. You have more weight and HP which allows you to perform more "heavy" work like a larger machine, but yet it still "feels" like a small dozer. The consideration here is width for transportation. If you're considering LGP machines the 700J LGP's blade angles down to 10'1" and the 650J LGP angles down to 9"11". So if you need to be under 10' to move without a permit the 650J is your machine. If this isn't a consideration or you're not looking at an LGP then the 700J LT or XLT will both angle down to under 10' with no problem. If the transportation issues don't matter and you can afford a little larger machine then I would go with the 700J. As mentioned above, if you are in abrasive ground conditions (sand or sandy loam) I would look at the Maximum Life undercarriage option. The easiest way to tell this option on the 700J is if the machine has two carrier rollers. Unfortunately the 550/650 can't be identified that easily. It costs a little more but the undercarriage will last a LOT longer than a standard u/c.
thanks lots of good advice:drinkup We where looking to by something in spring. Definetly used with lower hours. I was trying to push dad towards the 700 (better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it) but he was thinking more along the line of the 650. A ripper would be nice but not nesesary and a winch would be useless to use. We do dirt work, don't push on trees much if ever. I'v run the 650 h's and g's. loved the h the g was beat a little so it wasn't giving me all it could but the H was still much easeyer to use. thanks again for the advise and anymore would be greatly apreciated.
If I were you I would go to nortrax or whoever your dealer is and have them bring a 700 and a 650 out for you to demo, its a recession they'll do whatever it takes to sell equipment ares bought five guys lunch yesterday haha
They were torque converters.The direct drive dozers were the early ones. The direct drive dozers should have an inching pedal or clutch on them.The 450 that I spoke of was direct drive.Ron G
I was the opposite. I was on an older tc 650 and a newer dd 650. The TC felt much stronger. Nothing wrong with the DD thoe. I'v always wonder how bad a** of a machine a 700 TC would have been if it had came out before hydro's?? Buck, thats exactly right. If you leaning toward a ripper the 700 would defiantly be better with the extra weight and Hp. What kind of slopes, soils, and general stuff will you be in?
soil will be just about everything you can think of. Rock, sand, shale, clay, topsoil, and some mud. The work we do won't need lgp tracks. Just more money and expence that we don't need. we do some slope grading when building benches and pipe line work. We will be mostly be using it to spread dirt dumped from our ADT and grading around houses and townhouses.
then the price of the tractor will be the largest determining factor if you are not going LGP. If you can go the up charge for the 700J...then it would be the best tractor.
did they ever make the 700 in an h model?
Yeah
Yep, the 700 started with the H series. Some of them are getting on 10 years old. I have used a 700H LT with a winch a few times; it will push like mad and it always felt balanced. The winch came in handy when a tri-axle drove into standing water.:beatsme
i think nomatter what we will be getting a H model. A modern machine that has some hours on it (1000-3000). Now how bout LT vs. standered tracks. does the extra track realy make that much of a difference? As you can tell from my previous post that we won't be using this machine to do very specific tasks. Has to everything well not one thing perficly.
lets see if i can get the deere track configuration nomenclature right LT- Long Track= standard track configuration XLT- Extra Long Track= actual long track WT- Wide Track= wider track pads WLT- Wide Long Track= long track with wide pads, think it is 850's only LPG- Low Ground Pressure= extra track gauge, widest pads, heaviest configuration, sometimes more horsepower 700's come in LT, XLT, LPG configs all set at 115hp. The XLT weighs 1000lbs more and has .5 psi less ground pressure than the LT. So with the XLT you get more weight, traction, and flotation. I'll know soon if i have it right.
we have both dozers from the 650 up to the 850. I like the 650 in tight places when you don't have a lot to push. It grades nice. the 700 is a nice machine when you are pushing material but still need to be able to maneuver. If you don't get a lgp I do recommend the xlt. They ride nicer and easier to grade with. You will like which ever one you get.
sounds like we should start looking for a 700 xlt. thanks for all the help.