Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

550 Starter removal

Dadof6 ยท 2014-07-02 16:53

Can anyone give some advice/tips on removing the starter on a Ford 550 backhoe? It looks like the only option is to remove the injector pump and I really don't want to have to go to that measure if I don't have to. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042014-07-02 19:30

    You don't have to remove the injector pump, though you might want to wedge a lit stick of Dynamite between them to get some extra room. If I remember right I used a 9/16 (or 5/8?) wrench cut in half to get the back bolt. It ain't fun, but it's doable.

  2. #2Dadof62014-07-04 12:14

    Thanks again to my mechanically inclined son who successfully removed the starter. The trick? Take the solenoid off first and it slides right out. Hopefully this will help some troubled soul in the future when they find themselves in this predict ament

  3. #3jimg9842014-07-04 16:19

    how did you remove the inside bolt??

  4. #4dwagidig2014-07-04 17:50

    That was great thinking. Taking the solinoid out first.

  5. #5Dadof62014-07-04 19:02

    I took a long extension and secured the socket to the nut and then slid the driver up between and behind the injector pump and snapped it to the extension. It's slow moving but it works, the bolt on the back side fortunately is smaller than the front two. Hope that helps.

  6. #6jimg9842014-07-04 19:34

    yes, thank you