Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

550H steering problem. NEED HELP!

powerjoke ยท 2009-11-19 14:39

It seems I am always posting "NEED HELP!" but here is another problem we encountered maybe someone here has too and can help. '01 550H with the variable speed trans. almost every time the damn thing is on the trailer it will lock up the right track on the way off.....it seems it never does it while on the ground, but only at the worst times. . The right track will go "dead" but after a couple of forward to reverse and a few choice words the thing always straightens out......it has done this for a long time (well over a year) and never seems to get worse. Any Ideas or Q's? Pj

Replies8
  1. #1Digger10002009-11-19 17:33

    Is the machine sitting flat on the trailer when it does it?

  2. #2powerjoke2009-11-19 20:40

    yeah, and also half way down the ramps......makes it kinda interesting lol. no pattern to it other than in the AM on the trailer 40% of the time. Pj

  3. #3Goose2009-11-19 20:54

    Are you using or have just hit the brake pedals before this happens?

  4. #4powerjoke2009-11-19 21:35

    hand steer/Hydro

  5. #5Goose2009-11-19 22:20

    Sorry I was thinking Case 550H instead of Deere.

  6. #6powerjoke2009-11-20 21:11

    I just realized I didnt say "deere".....sorry bout that dont know how it coulda slipped my mind. Pj

  7. #7Digger10002009-11-20 21:21

    I know quite a bit about these, and can't give you any good reason why a track would only stop while on the trailer. When you say dead, can you hear the pumps going over relief (like a brake is locked up) or is it like the front pump isn't swashing? If you ever do catch it doing it, you can pull the floor plate off the cab and try to run the manual over ride on the front pump. This will tell you if it's a mechanical issue or an electrical issue.

  8. #8RDG2009-11-21 18:46

    Steering problem If it only does it comming off the trailer/ramps etc would sound like the grouser lugs are getting caught in the trailer/ramp cleats. I have had this happen many times while unloading machines, if the cleats on the ramps are about the same spacing as the grousers they will jam as they come up around the front idler just my 2 cents worth, but it does happen.